• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

reply to request for photo

A

Anonymous

godfrey.jpg

some friend asked for this not too long ago

Dr H

Fine photo, thanks.
I'm poor at ID'ing jackets. Are those collars long enough (and pocket flaps angular) for Doniger?
Cheers
Ian

Likely Lt. Hillyer Godfrey. LM squadron code on the plane in background = 62FS, 56FG, 8AF. The white nose band on P-47 Razorback would likely make the photo early- to mid-1943. White bands were painted on the nose and tail of early P-47s to distinguish them from the Focke-Wulf Fw 190A. 56th FG stationed at Kingscliffe 12 January 1943 to 4 April 1943, Horsham St. Faith 5 April 1943 to 7 July 1943, Halesworth 8 July 1943 to 18 April 1944, Boxted 18 April 1944 to 9 September 1945.

From the "Little Friends" website: "Lt. Hillyer S Godfrey, Gainsville, GA. 62ndFighter Squadron. P-47D LM-# “Devil Baby”. Lt. Godfrey was transferred out of the 56th for being “Peck’s Bad Boy” and reassigned to the 27th FrG, 310th FrS where he was killed in a crash in 42-76389 at Barrhill, Scotland on 1 March 1944."

stubbyeighth

Roughwear

Dr H said:
Fine photo, thanks.
I'm poor at ID'ing jackets. Are those collars long enough (and pocket flaps angular) for Doniger?
Cheers
Ian

Ian, it could be the no name Doniger contract where the collars were a little less angular. ;)

Dr H

Do you think it's a Doni Andrew, or am I simply conditioned to 'see' them at the moment? :?

A

Anonymous

anyone can read what it says in the photo?
I m having a hard time

Dr H

greyhound52 said:
front_view_flat-1.jpg

Here is a shot of my no name Doniger to compare with the photo

Thanks George - I love that seal Doniger (which looks very similar in pattern to my civilian jacket).

Well, I've pored over the photo and I think that it is...

Cheers

Ian