• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original painted A-2 "Shade Ruff"

a2jacketpatches

No doubt in my mind painted by Harry Hall of 401st Armament. He lived a few towns over from me and explained how he painted many an A2 with some oils he bought in London while on leave. He did go into detail saying how a base of white was put on first and then detailed, exactly what it looks like here. He owned and operated Scargo Hills Pottery in Brewster MA. Sadly he is no longer with us but I'm happy to have met him and share his story at every opportunity. Very nice guy who gave me an informative half hour of his last days. Google him to see more.

TankBuster

Indeed a great original jacket. I have its brother from another crew member. Wish I had the cash handy. It would be pretty neat to have 2 from the same 8th AAF crew!!

061.jpg

063.jpg

DSC01513.jpg

tumblr_lig0o8g9Ye1qh953eo2_400_zps8c8955c4.jpg

ButteMT61

Is the B&W photo supposed to be the same jacket? if so, sorry, but the placement, proportions,size and other markings don't look right to me. Or is this a copy of that?

TankBuster

ButteMT61 said:
Is the B&W photo supposed to be the same jacket? if so, sorry, but the placement, proportions,size and other markings don't look right to me. Or is this a copy of that?

It's actually just a photo of the artwork that I found on the 401st BG website, it didn't actually come with my jacket. I admit thinking at one time that it was this crew member wearing the jacket. There are actually more photos of other crew members on the 401st site wearing this same artwork. Maybe one is him or the ebay one? The jacket came with documentation of the purchase from my friend who bought it directly from the vet back in the 80's along with some other tidbits.

TankBuster

a2jacketpatches said:
No doubt in my mind painted by Harry Hall of 401st Armament. He lived a few towns over from me and explained how he painted many an A2 with some oils he bought in London while on leave. He did go into detail saying how a base of white was put on first and then detailed, exactly what it looks like here. He owned and operated Scargo Hills Pottery in Brewster MA. Sadly he is no longer with us but I'm happy to have met him and share his story at every opportunity. Very nice guy who gave me an informative half hour of his last days. Google him to see more.

Hey Sean,

Thanks for posting this info by the way. It will be great history to add to my jacket. It's pretty cool to have a name and a little background on the guy that did the artwork!!

Jeff