• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WWII vintage... Any ideas?

DiamondDave

If one looks closely, I think that you can make out the "RW" on the pocket tag, obviously re-lined and the wool pieces seem to be replacements as well.

Just my take,

DD

Chandler

DiamondDave said:
If one looks closely, I think that you can make out the "RW" on the pocket tag

That and the collar stand would make RW my guess. Damned dark pictures, though.

Chandler

Roughwear

It's definitely a Rough Wear from one of their last two contracts. Most likely the 27752 contract judging by the seal horse hide. It has been re-lined at some stage after the war.

Roughwear

DiamondDave said:
If one looks closely, I think that you can make out the "RW" on the pocket tag, obviously re-lined and the wool pieces seem to be replacements as well.

Just my take,

DD

The jacket is actually 100% original. The silk lining was installed when the jacket was made. The knits, which have greenish undertones are also original. It was not an issued jacket but a private purchase from RW, modelled on the 27752 contract. The early style Crown zip is in perfect working order complete with the spring.

TankBuster

Roughwear said:
DiamondDave said:

Just my take,

DD

The jacket is actually 100% original. The silk lining was installed when the jacket was made. The knits, which have greenish undertones are also original. It was not an issued jacket but a private purchase from RW, modelled on the 27752 contract. The early style Crown zip is in perfect working order complete with the spring.

Interesting! I kind of thought all the parts looked original to the jacket. I was thinking
maybe a private purchase style jacket, or very old repair work (immediate post war).
It would be interesting to see some better pictures Andrew.

Roughwear

Jeff it's basically a RW 27752 shell minus the triangular zipper reinforcement stitching. It even has a production number on the pocket tag, suggesting it was part of their normal USAAF contract production, but was lining with a green silk lining and greenish knits. It might have been after RW had completed the 27752 contract, but the serial number, 8836 might suggest it was mid contract production as I would have imagined this was a large contract. It's really an enigma. I was not aware RW made private purchase A2s in 1942-3, but other members may be able to shed some light on this. Anyhow its is surely rarer than an issued RW 27752 A2! I will post some better pics in a day or so.