• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WW2 Submariners

unclegrumpy

Nice job SuinBruin on posting those photos so quickly!

I forgot about the slash pocket's sewing difference. It has been a long time since I held one of those jackets and that picture was a great help to jog my feeble memory. I must thus bow to those id'ed Glenn Ford's jacket as a tanker, though they may now might be lusting after something hard to find, and expensive that they never knew about!

PS: I have seen a couple of the 37J1 jackets over the years, and a number in photos...one nice picture of one is on page 9 of Millstein's book on USMC patches. Everyone of those jackets had a USN stenciled on the chest.

SuinBruin

unclegrumpy said:
PS: I have seen a couple of the 37J1 jackets over the years, and a number in photos...one nice picture of one is on page 9 of Millstein's book on USMC patches. Everyone of those jackets had a USN stenciled on the chest.
Hmmmmmmmm... where can I get a new repro 37J1 with no stencil? If only some enterprising entrepreneur would start making custom cloth and nylon jackets a la Goodwear.... (hint, hint, John and Mark! :D ).

unclegrumpy

I bet finding the correct old stock material would be tough too. However, I saw a Japanese site not too long ago that was selling newly made WW II deck jackets for a lot of money. So someone is making the right stuff again.