• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WW2 Naval Aviation Overcoats

zoomer

As I recall, the last Navy regs covering the Aviation Working Green uniform recommended a khaki trenchcoat as overlayer. I don't know what type coat was supplied or any specs, and until now, had never seen a photo of such a coat in use.

0034_.jpg

This is from June, 1943, with Fleet Air Wing Four in the Aleutians. Cmdr. Reginald McCracken wears the khaki coat. FAW-4 CO Capt. Leslie Gehres wears the same coat in dark (presumably brown!) leather.
** Gehres' coat does NOT appear to be the familiar M-69E/F "Transport Coat" of heavy goatskin, with mouton collar and alpaca liner.

0052_.jpg
0053_.jpg

Gehres and 2 other officers in similar coats.

0033_.jpg

Gehres, 2nd from r front, and some of his officers in toggled sheepskin parkas, similar to the Air Corps B-7s.

Sorry about the size of the pix. They come from the Kodiak Military Air Museum, many from Les Gehres' personal scrapbooks, and larger scans are not available.

Any other visuals or intel on these coats would be appreciated.

unclegrumpy

zoomer said:
As I recall, the last Navy regs covering the Aviation Working Green uniform recommended a khaki trenchcoat as overlayer. I don't know what type coat was supplied or any specs, and until now, had never seen a photo of such a coat in use.

I have had the blue officers WW II trench coats before, and they do not have any spec labels in them because they were all private purchase rather than issue items. The khaki ones would have been private purchase too, and I also believe that aviation green ones were an option a different times as well.

I can't recall exactly when the Aviation Working Green Service uniform went out, but it was sometime in the early 1960's, so when you are thinking of the Navy Uniform Regulations, about what time period are you thinking? I would have to do some checking, but I suspect that these coats were authorized in one way or another for the life of these green uniforms which would have spanned from about 1917 to the early 1960's.

zoomer

Don't remember the uniform regs I looked at. Not all are available online; it was one of those that are. It probably dated from the post-60s period when the AWG was impractical for working but unauthorized for dress.

unclegrumpy

I think this is what you are looking for regarding the tan/khaki version, this is from the 1947 Navy Uniform Regulations:

2-20.

Overcoat, Aviation Winter Working (For Commissioned and Warrant Officers Only)(Optional). This garment shall be double-breasted, closed with four buttons; to be loose cut and drawn in at the waist by all-around belt, of same material as coat, to fasten in the front; to have regular shoulders, convertible collar, storm flap on right breast, two pockets, vent at center of the back, tabs on cuffs and straps on shoulders. The use of a bellows plait in side seams of back is optional.

(a) Back. - To have a seamed back with vent 16" to 20" long. The right side of vent shall overlap the left side 2", making a fly effect, and there shall be three small flat tan buttons to fasten vent. The use of a bellows plait in side seams of back is optional.

(b) Belt. - The belt shall be 21⁄4" wide and shall pass under loops located at side seams and tops of pocket openings. The loops at top of pocket shall be extensions of pocket welt. The belt shall be stitched in a manner to form six raised welts along its length and shall have two sliding loops on belt to hold loose end in front. It shall be fitted with a brown, leather-covered, tongueless buckle of non-magnetic material.

(c) Buttons. - Buttons on front of overcoat shall be 50-line, flat, four-hole, light tan in
color. These buttons shall be reinforced by small inside stay buttons and shall be

2-4

located as follows:

(1) Top button to be set at the neck under the collar.
(2) Second button to be 5" below the breast line.
(3) Third button to be centered between second and bottom button.

(4) Bottom button to be on a line with the crotch.
Buttons stand to be 6" from front of buttonhole, so that rows of buttons will be 6" apart (measuring from centers) when coat is buttoned.
(d) Collar. - To be made so that the coat may be worn with lapels opened or buttoned up to the throat. Collar to be 31⁄2n deep at the back and 5" at notch. Underside of collar shall be faced with collar cloth of a blending color.

(e) Cuffs. - Sleeves shall have tabs 1-5/8" wide secured in the front arm seam and buttoning around the outer side of the sleeve. There shall be two buttonholes in the tab and four small light tan buttons on the sleeve, on which to button tabs.

(f) Edges. - Edges shall be 3/4" wide.
(g) Front. - The front of overcoat shall have two rows of buttons, four buttons in each row, and shall have a storm flap placed over right breast to cover edge of lapel to prevent rain from entering under lapel when top button is closed.
(h) Lapels. - The outer edge of lapels to be 11" to 12" long with a 11⁄2" notch opening be- tween points. Top of lapels to be 5" wide.
(i) Length. - To be of such length as to reach one-quarter the distance from kneecap to ground.

(j) Lining. - The body shall be skeleton lined with brown rayon yoke and sleeves shall be lined with the sane material. There shall be a detachable 18-ounce tan flannel lining with sleeves. This lining shall be attached to coat by means of single slide fastener running up lines of buttons and around collar. This lining shall have slits for out- side pocket openings, and shall be 2" shorter than coat, with vent to match that in back of coat.

(k) Material. - Shall be light tan, water-repellent, worsted gabardine.
(m) Seams. - All seams shall be raised and stitched 3/8" wide.
(1) Pockets. - There shall be two outside welted pockets (welts shall be 1-5/8" wide) open- ing about 8" long. The center of pocket opening should be in same vertical line with front seam of armhole at height of the hip bone and to be open through lining. The pocket opening shall be oblique. The bottom of the opening to be 11⁄2" to the rear of the top. There shall be inside pockets of conventional size on right and left breast.

(n) Shoulder Straps. - On each shoulder, attached at the shoulder seams only, there shall be a strap made of same material used in coat and extending from the shoulder seam to the base of the collar. These straps shall be 21⁄2" wide at the shoulder seam, tapering to 11⁄2" at a point 1" from the inner end. The inner end of the strap shall be fastened with a small tan button attached to the coat.