• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WW2 leather flight suit + Jacket made from the flight suit

chrgod2

Surfing eBay today, I came across two interesting items

This vintage electrically heated M456A flight suit is an interesting historical item, but obviously not very usable today unless you have an airplane.. :)

8e1f_1.jpg

9a7d_1.jpg

93db_1.jpg

a892_1.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=360095583958

This jacket is made from the same model "Colvinex" electrical flight suit. Rather cool jacket. I remember seeing these on eBay from time to time, but I understand they are much less desirable than the regular flight jackets. Does anyone have experience with these converted jackets..? Are they usable?

9373_1.jpg

9437_1.jpg

926a_1.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/WWII-Pilot-Jack...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

dujardin

helloooooo,

i have a suit like this one.
what i may say is that she is very hot (yet without electrical heating).
the one i have is a little too small.
but i think it could be a good jacket; but i don't remember if the wiring give an uncomfortable feeling or not.

PICT0027-4.jpg

PICT0026-2.jpg

PICT0025-2.jpg

and don't know if many pilot or crewmember have modified their suit this way. probably some.

byeeeeeeee marcel

chrgod2

Wow.. Thanks for the pictures. It gives a much better impression to see it "live".

That is one serious flight suit, looks well made. The collar is as gigantic as expected. Yes, I can truly imagine that it is warm.. Would fit well in a Catalina while hunting German Wolf packs in the North Atlantic. :)

dujardin

probably well concerning the neck but i think there is no logical reason to transform a suit like these into a jacket.
i explain : if you take the trousers out of the suit, the back (and entire body) of the jacket will be so short so that you will need another or shearling or electrically heated trousers. strange mix and surely (IMO) more uncomfortable that the complete suit.
take a look on my photos and you will see the possible cutting line between the jacket and trousers. really short jacket will remain with such an ''operation''.
so, bye byeeeeeeeeeee marcel