• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WW II P-38 Lightning Patches

lightning38

I'd like to buy or have made a WW II reproduction squadron or group leather patch that would have a P-38 pictured on it for my new A-2 flight jacket so if anyone has pictures they could email me of the different patches they had in WW II with P-38's pictured on the patch (official or unofficial)
I'd appreciate it.

Thank You
Mike

a2jacketpatches

Best off posting pics of the ones you want, there's a bunch of guys painting patches in acrylic these days at good prices. Or visit my Ebay store here-
http://stores.ebay.com/a2jacketpatches
for custom multi-piece leather, painted leather, hand embroidered, incised, you name it, using period correct materials on a prepaid basis.

a2jacketpatches

Here's a nice Photo Recon patch I always liked and have done in the past, technically F-4's or F-5's, these P-38's were armed only with cameras.
1_abbcd87e8677c23320c7aa7e9899ae24.jpg

Also
http://www.jbmilart.com/leather-patches.html is my recommendation for any painted patches you may need, nice shading and highlighting gives his work a 3 dimensional appearance.

dujardin

hello and welcomeeeeeeeeeeeee

i'm in use to request Ties for my patch, cool guy, cool price

this is the last one he did for me

474th FG use P-38

329th.jpg

byeeeeeeee
marcel

a2jacketpatches

Wow! Mr. Ties, Super painting and the wear looks real. Very nice shading is clear in these large photos. The red ring one on top is complete with age is my guess, absolutely perfect, getting an authentic look like that is certainly half the battle. These patches were worn on jackets that rubbed against canopies etc. getting in and out of a plane, they creased and got scratched, this is the look of a patch in service. A flat patina looks great, but doesn't really represent anything but an item that's been sitting around for decades soaking up tobacco and impurities in the air.

The leather you're using looks like it's helping with the look as well, most likely these garment type leathers were most available and used for painting patches.

ties70

Here's another P-38 squadron patch:

DSC_1289.jpg

Hey Marcel,

I'll try to take a better scan tomorrow!

Ties

Silver Surfer

you may wish to consider one of my faves. the 49th fs, 14th fg. it says it all. there is a nice example on page 169, in " american flight jackets". l have an original on one of my named a-2s, and i had sean make a killer repro for one of my repros. i have also seen variations of same with different color schemes.

lightning38

Really neat. My friend, now deceased was in the 430th squadron and I'm still seriously thinking about the 430th for my A-2.

ties70 said:
...and here is the last one of my 474th FG series for Marcel:

430th_FS.jpg

Ties