• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Willis & Geiger G-1 Repros

tda003

I noticed a bunch of W&G 55J14 G-1s on eBay. Sizes ran from 38 -46. The contract number reads N383S-39943, which is a Star Sportswear contract number. These are pretty good copies and I have one to use when I need a beater to do dirty stuff (making mud angels, addressing a Xmas card to the ex, etc.). What's interesting is the prices range from $290 to $800. Same jacket. Same condition. All are listed as original, possibly due the small leather label on the inside of the wind flap with Naval Aviator wings which says that it's authentic. The price range is what stands out. $800 seems excessive for a repro of very good tho not great copy. I saved the more expensive ones to see who bites.

tda003

There are other "give aways", too. The leather says the leather is impored, size tag below the label, cleaning instructions, small leather label mentioned before. All signs of a repro, but not to the uninitiated. A year ago, I woundn't have known the difference.

Chandler

Are these the W&G jackets produced in the 90s and 00s? I got their catalog all the time and was always tempted. The jackets looked well-made, if not *exactly* accurate.

tda003

These are the same jackets. I posted here in a thread called "Help With G-1 Repro". Here's the way to tell:
1644182438868.png

Last edited:

tda003

It is indeed, but I have turned my sound down. FWIW, the least expensively priced of there (size 46) at $289, was offered to me at $269. That seems a fair price for a very good repro. The seller hasn't listed the measurements. The seller with the asking price of $800 just invited me to make an offer. If I were a player, I'm pretty sure that he would care for my offer.

B-Man2

Hi guys
I hope you won’t mind if I weigh in here with a suggestion . IMO your hard earned money would be much better spent , particularly for the $800.00 jacket , if you just bided your time and searched for a good conditioned original USN issued G-1 jacket. Why buy a repro of a G-1 when you can have an original at about 1/2 the price. Keep in mind that one of the reasons for this forum, is to try and help each other out, so with that it mind , I’m offering these comments . For about $300 to $500 depending on the year of production and the condition, you can find original G-1s that are in nice condition. They will hold their value or increase in price over the next ten years . These jackets won’t . That’s why there is such a disparity in pricing between the two jackets, one seller has had his jacket for a while and is more realistic as to its value and what it will bring in resale . The other guy is still wishing for a buyer at $800. I’ve been posting this same info for the last few years, but as new guys come on the forum they continue to purchase repro G-1s at twice the price of an original USN G-1. I can’t figure out why … it just happens. Last month I was searching EBay for G-1 for a friend, when I found a late Vietnam war USN issued Brill Bros leather G-1, in a hard to find size 48 for less than $300. I wasn’t looking to buy a G-1 but for an original, at that price, the value will only go up with time, so I grabbed it

F9AD679D-2744-4EE6-AD5D-00B366A10346.jpeg
00B53497-410A-4145-852B-3E99CA5D6DF4.jpeg
0F8D48D4-2F4E-4B73-BD74-24ABECB20E27.jpeg

. Not so with any of the jackets you’re considering here .
I hope I’m not stepping on any toes as I’m just sharing info I’ve learned over the years here .
Whatever you decide , good luck with your search .
Cheers

Last edited:

Lorenzo_l

Hi guys
I hope you won’t mind if I weigh in here with a suggestion . IMO your hard earned money would be much better spent , particularly for the $800.00 jacket , if you just bided your time and searched for a good conditioned original USN issued G-1 jacket. Why buy a repro of a G-1 when you can have an original at about 1/2 the price. Keep in mind that one of the reasons for this forum, is to try and help each other out, so with that it mind , I’m offering these comments . For about $300 to $500 depending on the year of production and the condition, you can find original G-1s that are in nice condition. They will hold their value or increase in price over the next ten years . These jackets won’t . That why there is such a disparity in pricing between the two jackets, one seller has had his jacket for a while and is more realistic as to its value and what it will bring in resale . The other guy is still wishing for a buyer at $800. I’ve been posting this same info for the last few years, but as new guys come on the forum they continue to purchase repro G-1s at twice the price of an original USN G-1. I can’t figure out why … it just happens. Last month I was searching EBay for G-1 for a friend, when I found a late Vietnam war USN issued Brill Bros leather G-1, in a hard to find size 48 for less than $300. I wasn’t looking to buy a G-1 but for an original, at that price, the value will only go up with time, so I grabbed it

View attachment 74332View attachment 74330View attachment 74331

. Not so with any of the jackets you’re considering here .
I hope I’m not stepping on any toes as I’m just sharing info I’ve learned over the years here .
Whatever you decide , good luck with your search .
Cheers

Thanks for repeating that, Burt. It's great advice and for free at that!

tda003

Please be aware. I'm not suggesting that anyone pay $800 or $500 for this repro. Folks here do buy quality repro G-1 jackets. I have a W&G G-1 which I have used and abused. It's a very good copy. Goatskin & real mouton of quite good quality. A unique feature (I think) is that it has two ply biweave cuffs and waistband. For a quite decent repro at $270, it's a good deal. For those wishing to shell out $800, there are better repro options available.
However, my point in the original post was to point out the pricing spread on a repro which seems to be listed as an original and is not. It was meant as a "buyer beware" piece.
It might be an "original repro", but even the inside label is misleading, since I don't think W&G ever had a contract to produce a G-1. I think that they supplied M-422, M-422A and AN-J-3A jackets only. I have, however, no I dea of who actually designed the flight jacket that eventually became the G-1.
I am funny about originals, even the "E" series. I don't paint, work on my car, etc. wearing them. It's just a personal quirk. I don't have the same feelings about inexpensive repros.

Last edited: