• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why So Many A-2 Reproduction Manufacturers?

philip.ed

Just a simple question really. I am amazed at how many different people/companies produce reproductions of the A2 Jacket. If I was ever serious about buying one, I wouldn't know where to begin looking!( aside from Eastman, Good-Wear and Aero-Leather Clothing. )
I know there are other notable makers, but I'm amazed at their tenacity to continue when other manufacturers might produce better jackets for similar prices.
For example; Buzz-Rickson. Some of their prices seem really high, but are their jackets better than competing brands?

Just curious ;)

NB: I'm not looking to buy! :lol: (yet....)

Weasel_Loader

I would say that each has their own niche. Some of the complanies know their product is not the most accurate, but get by with quantity. Others keep striving to make the most authentic reproduction and still keep the price point manageable. I like Good Wear because of the style of opperation and offering such a great assortment of different contracts.

The Few and Buzz have very high prices compared to makers such as Good Wear and ELC, but I know that is only because our U.S. dollar is so low. They do make outstanding jackets, but can't see paying that much especially when I have no personal connection to the person building the jacket.

Don't worry. When your ready to buy, just spend the time here reading reviews and such about all the different manufactures. I've only had experience with Buzz, ELC and Good Wear A-2s. Some people swear by Aero and I wouldn't mind trying out one of their jackets sometime. They also have great prices.

I'm sure the more seasoned A-2 collectors will chime in shortly. ;)

philip.ed

Good answers, thanks. Apart from following a dream, it must be a bit of a gamble to enter this hobby with jackets when manufacturers like ELC and Good-Wear are selling excellent products.

As you say AF, money is a huge factor!