• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which brand can fill the gap of the Horsehide A-2 jacket Repro at $500 range?

jwamznalx

Hey,

I made lots of research the Platon's https://jadubowmfg.com/ last week and decided to make the order. The jacket looks amazing and sells only by around $500.

But turns out it already suspended the business.

Do we have any alternative A-2 jacket which has good quality in the price range of $500?

I know some of famous brand, like Aero Leather, Simmons Bilt, Gibson & Barnes, Headwind Mfg, etc.

https://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/
https://simmonsbilt.com/
https://gibson-barnes.com/
https://www.headwindmfg.com/

Aero leather and G&B usually have good repro jacket at around $900 range (considering Aero sell their jacket in GBP and shippment costs). Simmons Bilt has good repro jackets at around $800 range (shippment cost). Headwind has repro jacket at around $675 range ($650 + $25 shippment).

Do we have any recommendations jacket in about $500 range? I already have a San Diego Leather jacket factory Civilian version deerskin A-2 jacket, and this time I really want to have a solid WW2 repro jacket with good quality of Horsehide. I'm not sure if Cockpit USA or US Wings have the options but seems like they are more like a modern Civilian version A-2 seller not Horsehide Repro. I have no more than $600 budget.

Any ideas will be appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited:

B-Man2

This is a great time of the year for finding a previously owned quality made jacket. Save up a little more and you can usually find someone selling an Eastman or a Good Wear in very nice condition.

Juanito

There is a gap between the Headwind and Five Star jackets at $350 and the lowest priced Aero, NorShor, Kelso range. Platon filled that gap perfectly. Diamond Dave could have as well, but...

Personally, I would either go with a Headwind jacket if you have to have new, or preferably as Dumpster D said, wait for a used one to pop up here or on TFL, since used jackets sell for about half of new (aside from the ones like B-Man2's never worn Good Wear Rough Wear).

jwamznalx

There is a gap between the Headwind and Five Star jackets at $350 and the lowest priced Aero, NorShor, Kelso range. Platon filled that gap perfectly. Diamond Dave could have as well, but...

Personally, I would either go with a Headwind jacket if you have to have new, or preferably as Dumpster D said, wait for a used one to pop up here or on TFL, since used jackets sell for about half of new (aside from the ones like B-Man2's never worn Good Wear Rough Wear).
hmmm not a good time for small business...

I will consider the Headwind jacket if it's the cheapest option above FiveStar or Avi Leather. But still between $350 to $650 there should be a brand or factory that do this work. Maybe not that profitable?

Greg Gale

It's too bad about Platon, he made fantastic jackets...

If I wanted a horsehide A-2 and didn't have the budget for a Kelso, I'd go for an AVI Bronco.

Micawber

Truth is we don’t actually know what the status of Platon’s enterprise is do we, and as he is not great at communicating then we are only like to discover anything is if someone who has had an order fulfilled in the last few months pipes up about it. Not ideal.
I believe there are some pre owned bargains to be had on here at this very moment (hint, hint).

Brettafett

There is no one else who makes decent 'original maker' repros, between Headwind and the higher end makers, like BK, ELC & GW.
Maybe Aeroleather's Aero A-2s... They have specials in thier Quartermaster section sometimes.
But at this price, Id go straight to Bill Kelso! Or pay a lot less for a Headwind.

A lot of the other generic makers, all make decent quality, wearable jackets, most still quite expensive... but lack the authenticity and detailing of 'original maker' WW2 jackets.
Depends what you want.

Best 'original maker' A-2 repro, for the least amount of money... Secondhand jacket here, or on Ebay.

If you want new, AVI Leather (or 5*)
Or...
Slightly better detailing and better materials, for a little more $... Headwind Mfg's Supply Depot A-2s (Bronco or Arlo) - Probably your best bet for a new jacket under $500 to $600
(Must say, Jay's jackets are looking great for the money)

What size are you?

Last edited:

Skyhawk

This has been in the works for a while. Coming up shortly in 2024, Headwind Mfg Co will be releasing a Mid price range series of jackets. These will be made with upgraded top quality Zippers (Talon, Conmar, & Crown), United Carr snaps, and other goodies. The price point will be $550.
M-39-Puller.png

M42-Talon-Puller.png

IMG_20220329_123354303_HDR-PhotoRoom.png

Brettafett

What contracts would be available in the mid range Jay?
And the difference over the Supply depot range, being only the upgraded zipper, snaps and some hardware?

jwamznalx

This has been in the works for a while. Coming up shortly in 2024, Headwind Mfg Co will be releasing a Mid price range series of jackets. These will be made with upgraded top quality Zippers (Talon, Conmar, & Crown), United Carr snaps, and other goodies. The price point will be $550.
View attachment 129959
View attachment 129961
View attachment 129965
looks like Headwind get three different branch price level: budget level on $350, mid level on $500, higher level on $650

that will satisfy most people :)