• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in London?

jacketimp

berserker3 said:
Thanks guys! Last time I was in London, some four years ago, I went to Camden, but couldn´t find any good vintage leather shops. Maybe I was looking in the wrong places! :?
Kind regards
Mike

mike.

it depends on what days you went......tho things are drying up by and by......NO buy

imp

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
berserker3 said:
Thanks guys! Last time I was in London, some four years ago, I went to Camden, but couldn´t find any good vintage leather shops. Maybe I was looking in the wrong places! :?
Kind regards
Mike

Mike, you might have been to the other antiques market at Camden Passage ... for vintage you need Camden Lock.

Here's a map ...

http://www.streetsensation.co.uk/markets.htm

berserker3

Thanks deeb7! That was a very helpful and detailed map. Not even me, with my non- existing sense of direction, could miss that one! :D You guys are so helpful. I really like this forum! One of these days I will! get me a beautiful B3!
Kindest regards
Mike

Cobblers161

You'll be hard pressed to find anything decent in Camden these days. I lived there for about 7 years until 2002 and trawled the shops regularly for decent vintage stuff. Towards the end of my stay anything of any merit was vastly overpriced and aimed at the Japanese customers of whom there were many. Worth a look though particularly in the arches.

Another decent market is in Greenwich on a Saturday.

havocpaul

Unfortunately Greenwich has lost most of its good stuff; there was a woman in the market who sold really nice vintage stuff and always had USAF/USN jackets but she's left like so many before her. The town was killed by the greedy landlords and developers and all the quirky unusual and second-hand shops died replaced by trendy suchi and pasta restaurants catering for tourists who know no different, before the development there was a brilliant Thursday market with militaria, books, collectables (still going but mostly tourist tack) and the weekend markets where vintage clothing was everywhere at great prices, another part of London lost for good.

Cobblers161

Yeh, definately give it a look. The arches I refer to are further along. If you come out of Camden tube, walk along Chalk farm Road, towards Chalk Farm. Go over the canal bridge, then underneath the railway bridge then there's a large opening(Gated but open) on your left about 100 metres on, go in there and immediately bear right, after about 10 to 15 metres there will be about 6 large arches on your left (behind an outdoor eating area) each with a stall in. The ones in the middle used to be the best.

Also further along towards Chalk Farm tube there's an excellent vinatge shop on you're right just opposite The Roundhouse.

If you want a decent pint try the Spreadeagle up Parkway, the Elephants Head is occaisionally ok, lots of rockabillies on a Saturday with decent dj's though occaisionally some fascist Polish skinheads drink there which can spoil the atmosphere a little.

Cobblers161

havocpaul said:
Unfortunately Greenwich has lost most of its good stuff; there was a woman in the market who sold really nice vintage stuff and always had USAF/USN jackets but she's left like so many before her. The town was killed by the greedy landlords and developers and all the quirky unusual and second-hand shops died replaced by trendy suchi and pasta restaurants catering for tourists who know no different, before the development there was a brilliant Thursday market with militaria, books, collectables (still going but mostly tourist tack) and the weekend markets where vintage clothing was everywhere at great prices, another part of London lost for good.

That's such a shame I used to love that market, used to pick up excellent 60's deadstock stuff. Sadly Camden went partly the same way a few years back but I believe there are still a few decent stalls to be found so long as you can stomach the smell of noodles!