• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What zipper would have been installed on this original A-2

bazelot

It is my first A-2 and the only one left in my collection. Right now it has an ugly YKK zipper which I would like to change. This one is fully researched with all the details of the missions the pilot flew. THe damage to the neck area on the lining is also fully accounted for. I got the story from the nephew. THere was a fire in the cockpit when they were hit by flack and his jacket got slightly damaged by fire. Lower also got burns on his hands. I actually found details of that particular incident when I found all the mission details on the squadron website.

20dMarcsmountainbike004.jpg

20dMarcsmountainbike003.jpg

A-2021.jpg

A-2014.jpg

A-2013.jpg

A-2012.jpg

A-2019.jpg

A-2018.jpg

A-2004.jpg

The original owner wearing it:

44-6167-2.jpg

Clark J

Re: What zipper would have been installed on this original A

Talon & Conmar says the A-2 jacket site.Nice jacket T !!!!

Roughwear

This 1942 Aero contract usually had Talon or Crown zips fitted. The leather has a superb patina. It has been relined at some stage and a repro Aero label has also been fitted. What size is the A2 Tom?

dadgad

Nice Jacket indeed.

I think an hybrid Talon (double marked with unmarked stopper box) or even later style with marked puller only would be right but wait for the real experts. ;)

Silver Surfer

andrew has it right. 3x marked talon [1942 contract aero], or crown chevron. mash has talon zippers.

bazelot

Roughwear said:
This 1942 Aero contract usually had Talon or Crown zips fitted. The leather has a superb patina. It has been relined at some stage and a repro Aero label has also been fitted. What size is the A2 Tom?

Thanks for the info. It hasn't been relined actually. Only the tvery top section around the collar was changed (I actually did it myself and added the Aero label. THere was a white patch there when I got it. The leather is a tad singed on the back right below the collar and it must have damaged the lining as well. Patina is indeed one of the best I have seen on any WWII jacket. It is roughly a size 42 as it fits me great.

After finding out about the fire mishap from the nephew I regretted replacing the "original" patch that was there as it must have done right after the mission. It is always great to be able to talk to family members that are interested in the history behind the jacket.

bazelot

This is what the lining looks like:

20dMarcsmountainbike010.jpg

And that's how it looked when I got it:

A-2020.jpg

Bad Picture of the back with the burnt section right below the collar:

A-2016.jpg

Roughwear

Thanks for clarifying about the lining. It's good to see most is still intact.

dadgad

I have a couple of spare NOS Talon bought from MASH if you are interested.