• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What would you do ?

jack31916

Here's my dilemma:

I have this original Size 48 Poughkeepsie jacket. The leather and stitches are still strong and I would like to wear this jacket. Especially the cuffs ( and the waistband more or less ) and lining are in a bad shape. Some previous owner tried to remove the AAF decal on the leftshoulder, succeeded partially, leaving a "pinkish" spot.

I'm thinking of replacing the cuffs and waistband but, if so, do I need to replace the lining as well and add a new AAF decal?

I know it's a matter of personal ideas / taste but... what would you do?

Opinions / ideas please.

Thanks!

Steve27752

Personally, I would get the cuffs/waistband replaced (Aero Scotland) and the AAF decal painted on by a2-art.

Roughwear

It depends how badly damaged the lining actually is. You get the lining repaired or replaced. Pictures would help.I would replace the knits and waistband so it could be a wearable jacket.

Steve27752

Steve27752 said:
Personally, I would get the cuffs/waistband replaced (Aero Scotland) and the AAF decal painted on by a2-art.
I cannot edit here, come on Bill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would also get Aero to replace the worn lining.

Dr H

Had a disappointing experience with Aero recently - inordinate delay and job not completed as requested. Won't be sending treasured jackets for work in future.

Dr H

I've raised it with him recently when discussing a vintage Doniger, he hasn't rushed back with a price but then as a one man outfit with a strong order book he's so busy.

A

Anonymous

Maybe talk to Gary Eastman, not sure if they do that kind of thing.

dmar836

If the lining is worn primarily at the neck, you could just stitch it together and overlay it with lining material across the top few inches of the liner. Put the label on there adn you have caused no harm to the original liner and have made it quite wearable.
JMO,
Dave

Rutger

If it were my jacket I would try and ask Platon. I don't know if he's into repairs like that, but it's not much trouble asking. From what I read on the forum I tend to think he's pretty fast.

CBI

yes, just have the lining around the neck fixed and use MASH replacement knits. You should be able to have someone locally who can do that. If by chance you need a new zipper, the MASH ones are the way to go!

jack31916

Thanks for your opinions guys ! I've made a few pic so you can see what I'm talking about:
DSC01296.jpg

DSC01295.jpg

DSC01293.jpg

DSC01292.jpg

DSC01291.jpg

DSC01290.jpg

DSC01289.jpg

DSC01288.jpg

I think I just replace the cuffs and waistband and try to repair teh lining at the weak spots.

What about the AAF decal?

Thannks

Roughwear

The lining can easily be repaired. The waistband clearly has a few repairs but I would not replace it, just use matching thread and re-do the repairs so they are less obvious. John Chapman may be able to replace the wristlets with matching ones. It looks as if someone has tried to cover the decal with polish or paint. This could be cleaned off so the decal could be restored or left as it is.

Dr H

Personally, I'd leave the decal well alone - it looks fine and in keeping with the age/patina of the jacket.
Cheers
Ian

CBI

the lining is an easy fix at a local shop as are new knits if you decide to do that. Knits from MASH Japan. The AAF decal you could just leave as is

dmar836

That liner damage is nothing! If I was displaying it or only wearing it occasionally, I would leave it. It would be nice to stabilize it if wearing it regularly. It could be dry rotted and prone to more tearing.
Not a bad start at all.

Andrew

dmar836 said:
That liner damage is nothing! If I was displaying it or only wearing it occasionally, I would leave it. It would be nice to stabilize it if wearing it regularly. It could be dry rotted and prone to more tearing.
Not a bad start at all.

I'm with Dave, leave it as it is and wear it to the odd airshow battle scarred cuffs and all.