• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what to wear under a leather jacket

SuinBruin

After picking up a couple of Good Wear A-2s and a Tony Nowak Indy jacket (and with an Aero cafe racer on the way), I ran into a bit of a problem this fall. Now that the weather is getting colder here in the northern hemisphere, what can I wear under a jacket that will keep me warm yet fit well and look good?

Most of the sweaters and pullovers I wear are synthetic fleece -- it's comfortable, casual, durable, warm, layers easily, and performs well when I actually go camping, fishing, etc. The problem with synthetic fleece is that it tends to be bulky, and with the zip-Ts that I prefer, pokes out over the top of a leather jacket. It's not a particularly comfortable combination. The sleeves bind. I feel like a marshmallow. Plus, there is just something odd to me about wearing a classic '40s A-2 with a modern North Face or Patagonia top. It's jarring.

So I decided that I would look into picking up some trim-fitting wool sweaters that would work with a leather jacket, and I found what is for me the perfect solution. They are SmartWool midweight crew tops. They are 100% wool, and the knit is incredibly fine. While they are meant to be worn as long underwear, the cut and smooth finish make them wearable as an ordinary sweater. (I got one in black and you can barely see the seams. Lighter colors might not look as good, though.)

Because they are essentially a base layer, they are made quite trim. I went up a size (I tend toward a medium and bought a large) and the fit is just about perfect. They are a little long but supposed to shrink a bit after being washed the first time. (Better to be too long than too short, anyway.) The one thing I can't comment on is the durability or tendency to pill, but so far, so good.

The SmartWool tops fit well, are reasonably priced, appear well made, and layer perfectly under an accurate repro A-2 without puffing or binding. They also keep you warm and look pretty good if you take the jacket off. I highly recommend them.

https://www.smartwool.com/default.cfm?gclid=COWZ5870tZ4CFRESawod0D-klg#/Mens/Apparel/Tops/_/2527/

zoomer

Nice looking merch - thanks for the tip.

I like lightweight wool pullovers such as merino.
The mock turtleneck style is my favorite, but I don't like it too form-fitting.
The zip-tee looks as tho it might serve the same function.
Are these super stretchy, or do they give you some slack if ordered a size bigger?

SuinBruin

I wouldn't describe them as super stretchy, no. There is some slack having gone up a size -- like a nice trim wool sweater.

zoomer

Sounds just the thing.

I have some great merino mock turtles that are over 10 years old and starting to lose their shape. These may be just the thing to replace them.

CBI

Glad to hear SmartWool makes a good product. I purchased 4 pairs of their high-end socks. They all developed holes within 4 weeks of wear. I returned them and was given 4 new pair..........same thing. The retailer was shocked, returned my money and GAVE me 4 pair...........same thing again. Meanwhile all of my other "cheap" socks held up just fine.

Nice looking sweater! :D

zoomer

You know what makes socks last longer than anything?
pedicure2.jpg

Keeping good pedicure habits! (Polish not necessary.)

I have dry rough heels, especially, and that's where my socks always give way.

If you want to be really crafty, you can take up darning! I did...

deand

I'm going to assemble a few mock turtlenecks because they aren't quite so warm around the neck as a regular turtleneck but work well with a suitcoat or jacket:
tmicheal_2083_9244498.gif

dean

Atticus

I've always liked the turtleneck-with-leather look. When the weather is cool enough, I wear a plain, cotton (real) turtleneck under whatever jacket I'm wearing. When its warmer, I wear a mock turtleneck. This link is to a Woolrich mock turtleneck I really like. http://www.woolrich.com/p-8089.shtml

Dscn0078.jpg

Dscn3632-3.jpg

AF