• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What kind of jacket is this?

bazelot

I just bought this jacket. It was obviously owned by a Navy pilot but the jacket is not Navy. It looks like a B15 but I know nothing about Army cloth jackets. Could be civilian I guess. I will let the expert figure it out :)

Smith1.jpg

Smith2.jpg

asiamiles

Yes, would appear to be a civilian jacket style after the B-15, although I can't quite tell from the pics if the zip is off-set or centrally positioned; if the former then could be a B-15. Any labels of any kind anywhere?

bazelot

asiamiles said:
Yes, would appear to be a civilian jacket style after the B-15, although I can't quite tell from the pics if the zip is off-set or centrally positioned; if the former then could be a B-15. Any labels of any kind anywhere?

I don't have the jacket yet. I just won it. It looks like it does not have any tags. It looks more civilian to me but either way it was definitely used by a naval aviator. I am going to try to research the guy but with a name like Smith I am not going to go far I am sure. Any clue as to where I may start to research the guy?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
asiamiles said:

The zipper looks to be central, so with that sleeve pocket, my guess is a privately purchased B-15A.

Good Luck with the Smiths, Tom. ;)

Maverickson

Tom,

Nice score! Not to mention, the fact that a USN aviator used Air Force style jacket does not surprise me. I witnessed these goings on in my childhood. The fact remains that during my Father's tenure aboard the USS Oriskany with Air Wing Sixteen there was an Air Force pilot attached to one of the squadrons. This Air Force guy actually flew combat from the Oriskany on their 1966-1967 deployment with VA-164. So obviously there has been a history of inter service mixing.

Dave

bazelot

deeb7 said:
asiamiles said:

The zipper looks to be central, so with that sleeve pocket, my guess is a privately purchased B-15A.

Good Luck with the Smiths, Tom. ;)

David, I thought the B-15 also had the pen sleeve pocket. THe B-15A also had the oxygen tabs if my memory serves me right. I am just trying to figure out if this jacket could have been late WWII.

Peter Graham

bazelot said:
I am just trying to figure out if this jacket could have been late WWII.
Tom, I reckon it's a post war B-15 copy. I had one a few years ago and the quality was way below that of an issued jacket. Hopefully yours will not be like that. Good luck in tracing the previous owner.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
bazelot said:
David, I thought the B-15 also had the pen sleeve pocket. THe B-15A also had the oxygen tabs if my memory serves me right. I am just trying to figure out if this jacket could have been late WWII.

In the picture the pocket appears wider, like the B-15A double pen pocket.

I discounted the oxygen hose tabs, as last time I accused them of being removed, I was told that many B-15A's were made without them ... also a civilian jacket would have no need for them.

Anyway .... it will arrive soon. :)

tgd31968

May not have been worn on active duty but could be something the pilot or a decendant bought later and added the nameplate to. I don't see anything in the pics that indicate it was necessarily actually worn for flying.

A lot of WWII flyers bought jackets 30-40 years after the war. No reason this navel aviator or his kid might not have done the same, only not so long after his leaving the navy or being KIA or whatever.

I know some guys that left the service and wanted nothing to do with it until a few years later after joining the local VFW, American Legion or whatever and they get reinterested in wearing something like what they wore in the service.
Hopefully you can find a record on the guy.