• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the best length and fit of an A2

Persimmon

Just what is the right length for a A2 Jacket.
Should it be tight on the waist.
Should it be long enough that the waist band slightly (all of it ) disappears under the leather ?
I know that does not look good on the sleeve length - sort of tunnelling.
Any pictures of the perfect length of your A2.
I guess when you stick your arms in the air does it go up your back or should that never happen and there is always material there.
I am sure I read somewhere that the pilots wanted in tight to the waist so that it would not rub on their backs as they flew but as I have no plane !! ...whats the real deal now guys.
Of course their is always a a personal preference choice in there somewhere but I would love to see the best ones lay.
I look at old war photos and some are close to the waistband of the trousers whilst other jackets overhang a fair bit.
Help me please.
Alan

rich

I think the answer's in your last sentence

I look at old war photos and some are close to the waistband of the trousers whilst other jackets overhang a fair bit.

I'm not sure there was a right length. As long as you're happy with it, I don't think you should worry. Maybe make sure your jacket fits properly across the shoulders and under the arms, where a bad fit will be much more of an issue.

Andrew

Rich is right, the best way to work out how it should fit is to just check out the millions of vintage pics of the jacket being worn the way it was intended. Despite it being conceived in the '30's it's a timeless design that if it's an accurate repro (the best is Goodwear) through it's essential essence of "cool" will always look good.

Some reckon it's not the most comfortable jacket but as far as i'm concerned if my wrists and waist aren't manacled by the knits, i'm conscious of the shoulder seams on my shoulders, my chest isn't in the grip of a Boa, my belt or back isn't exposed, my watch isn't also exposed unless I lift my arms, i'm not carrying around excess leather and lining around my middle, it's not drooping or bunching anywhere and it just feels good then I think the fit is sp'on.

I only ever wear a T shirt (long or short) under mine so I like them trim.

zoomer

In my experience - see what you think - an A-2 should fit this way:

Lower body
-Comfortable, but not too sloppy, thru the waist. You should be able to use the pockets without feeling the objects inside have been implanted beneath your skin.
-Knit waistband shouldn't be so slack that the zipper panels flare out (giving a "cowcatcher" or "codpiece" effect when seen from the side).
Body length
-At least 1" below the bottom edge of your belt buckle in front.
-Long enough in back not to show your shirt when sitting or driving. (It is, however, perfectly OK to show a few inches of sweater when you layer.)
Upper body
-Comfortable, but not too sloppy, thru the chest and shoulders.
-Maybe a little fuller if you want to layer under your A-2 in cold weather, but not so much that you look round-shouldered or have the usual modern "outerwear look."
Sleeves
-Full enough that they don't pull your shirtsleeves up when putting the jacket on.
-Long enough to cover your wrist bone when the cuff is fully extended or just a bit "tunneled."
Armholes and back panel
-Full enough that you can reach forward or spread your arms without the jacket binding or riding up. (This can be particularly troublesome on WW2-faithful repros.)
Neckline and collar
-Wide enough at the neck to allow the zipper to go to the top, or if you desire, to fasten the collar latch comfortably. (Again, this is a bottleneck on many authentic repros.)

I admit that all this is asking a lot! But it can be done. I think there's a suitable cut and size to flatter almost every man - and flatter is what the A-2 does, with its simple elegance and dash.

greyhound52

This is IMO my best fitting A2. It is a Buzz Rickson Roughwear 23380 model size 42. 23 in down the front along the windflap, 25.5 sleeve length including knit and 19 in shoulder span. I am 5 ft 10 in and weigh 175. To me this has the proper WW2 type fit.
buzz_frt38.jpg

CBI

very cool!

Zoomer -could you be a little more detailed :lol:

I like a nice fitting jacket HOWEVER, a fit that's ALMOST perfect looks more authentic to me :? . Just a tad too big or too small, a little sloppy - TERRIFIC!

kevlarg

Well I only have one A2, supposedly made by Dubow. It is a trim fitting 38 and the body length and sleeve length seem to be a little shorter than what I am used to but nothing crazy. My only complaint is when I am driving with it. The whole thing raises up like a turtle shell pushing the neck up a little bit uncomfortably. But as luck would have it I walk a lot here in NYC.

DSC_0824.jpg

Roughwear

I can't add much too Zoomer's excellent explanation, but for me my original Star in a size 44 is the ideal length and fit, but opinions vary on the subject of the ideal fit of an A2. Avoiding the modern shopping mall look is essential!

010-54.jpg

Hawkeye

I'll add my voice to the chorus...I prefer a more relaxed fit myself, without being baggy. Arms should be a bit long when you get a new jacket to allow for creasing on the forearms. The torso should have enough slack to slightly overhang the waist knit. Too tight A-2s just don't look right to me. I think a good place to have a peek at excellent fits is the Goodwear site, John nails the WW2 look perfectly when he models his jackets. Heres the fit on my ELC Cable.

sweaters035-1.jpg