• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you think of this CHP jacket ?

m444uk

BkLRh2kKGrHqQOKjYEslvmdE-gBLWdtmvsg.jpg

BkLPE2gBGkKGrHqEOKj8EstbgUYYjBLWdkp.jpg

BkLQ6BgWkKGrHqQOKi4EsmspPhygBLWdq92.jpg

BkLQhogmkKGrHqMOKj0EtDhRNicmBLWdpsN.jpg

Buffalo, mouton and brass sell for $175 on ebay.

I was thinking of buying one. Anyone else make these CHP type jackets for reasonable money ?

watchmanjimg

I was looking at this myself. Looks nice for the money, but if you look around sometimes vintage examples can be had for around the same price.

m444uk

watchmanjimg said:
I was looking at this myself. Looks nice for the money, but if you look around sometimes vintage examples can be had for around the same price.

Yes, I have been looking but I'm a 46R and something like a vintage Star police jacket are hard to find.
I've sort of given up. I'm in England which doesn't help.

I used to have a rare late 1940's Langlitz horsehide Police jacket bought cheaply that I took to Japan and sold for almost $4000.
To valuable to wear!

zoomer

The choice of brass fittings is a nice one to have.
The look is practical, comfortable, substantial.
It asserts the wearer is somewhat badass, but doesn't bellow it.

m444uk

zoomer said:
The choice of brass fittings is a nice one to have.
The look is practical, comfortable, substantial.
It asserts the wearer is somewhat badass, but doesn't bellow it.

I don't like bike jackets covered in chrome studs and zips.
To me the the older type of Langlitz really is a classic design.

injunjack

That's Branded Leathers jacket. I had one, but passed it on as it was a bit small for me.

Nice supple NAKED cowhide. Pretty well constructed etc. Only thing that would made me hesitate now is the leather, I'm not so keen on naked leather.
One thing my friend who bought the jacket complained about: the inner sleeves are a bit long so the inner fabric creeps out of the sleeve after a period of use (1-2 years)

Jack

m444uk

injunjack said:
That's Branded Leathers jacket. I had one, but passed it on as it was a bit small for me.

Nice supple NAKED cowhide. Pretty well constructed etc. Only thing that would made me hesitate now is the leather, I'm not so keen on naked leather.
One thing my friend who bought the jacket complained about: the inner sleeves are a bit long so the inner fabric creeps out of the sleeve after a period of use (1-2 years)

Jack

The one pictured is Buffalo hide.

What's naked leather, do you have a pic of the Branded jacket ?

Vcruiser

I agree with injunjack.
Some US companies have called their "naked leather"..Buffalo. In fact..it now seems to be almost a standard discription for unfinished leather. Why...I have no idea....I too think it is actually a heavy cowhide. Heavily dyed..but lacking the smooth surface or finish. Rather than repelling the elements with a "finished" or slicker finish it tends to soak up and be more absorbent. The only thing protecting the leather seems to be the quite heavy dye. This type of leather has a much more matte finish.
Several friends that I ride with have these type of jackets. I have noticed bugs are not so easy to wipe off...they do seem to fade easier..and one buddies jacket seemed to shrink after a couple years of riding after caught in a few downpours.
However the jacket in the pics looks very well made with some nice features.
Van