• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What a shame...

johnwayne

Crikey that really is bad and sad too - I was just gonna post similar:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-13764898

Was impressed with this plane wehn she came to the UK in 2008 (I think) so how disheartening for everyone on the warbird scene, particulalry those involved in keeping her airworthy

I normally sign off 'Cheers' which seems a bit inappropiate in the circumstances but at least everyone on board escaped unhurt!

Wayne

Roughwear

This is really sad news. I remember when she came to FL at Duxford and was hoping she would return one day. :(

bazelot

That's why those planes should not fly anymore. Like everyone else I love to see them fly but eventually they will all end up like this.

Andrew

bazelot said:
That's why those planes should not fly anymore. Like everyone else I love to see them fly but eventually they will all end up like this.

I've been thinking the same thing and i'm still undecided. At what point after you've progressively lost more of these irreplaceable treasures do you say jeez I wish we'd preserved a few more for less risky activites such as fast taxi's or engine runs. Of course mothing compares to seeing them fly or taking a flight in them so I can understand the passionate defence of that stance, but that video is just too hard to watch.

It's been said that it was caused by an engine fire, but in some of the shots i've seen just after touchdown it looks like it spread from amidships. Hopefully they'll get to the bottom of the cause.

flyboy

Such a shame.
I am also one of the lucky ones who saw her flying at DX - and I must say, I would rather see them flying than standing on the ground.
That being said: Bloody good job from the pilots side, getting her down in one piece and allowing everybody to get out safe.