• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WEP prototype L.W Foster?

Sid Vintage

1.jpg

2.jpg

Anyone seen this one before? Material and detailing close to the WEP except the pockets are lowered. Guessing this one would have been a prototype that didn't make it to the production line?

A

Anonymous

I like it !!

Is the material like the CWU 8/P parka and CWU 7/p mechanics jacket ?

Dave

Sid Vintage

Material feels identical to the regular WEP type jacket. Thinner nylon. A lot of the detailing identically the same as the WEP including collar ribbing and inverted cuff sleeve ribbing....

Atticus

After seeing this thread, I dragged out my 1968 WEP and tried it on. Its a 46R and now fits very nicely, thank you---except that it is just too darned short. I know that WEPs were short jackets, but this one seems even shorter than an early L-2B.

Its really a shame. I would love to wear my WEP with Levis, but when I do I look even more like a dork than normal. And to add insult to injury, the jacket came with an original, Vietnam-era Patron 50 patch---which would look pretty cool on any jacket, IMO.

AF

A

Anonymous

I have a pair of the pants to go with the jacket. Size 36R. They have the owner's name stenciled in the inside of the waistband and one small half inch cut. Material like new.

Not looking to hijack the thread (honest!) but someone might be interested. Not looking for a fortune. Just that they go to a good home and I don't lose money shipping them.

Dave

Sid Vintage

tcwu said:
inverted cuff sleeve?
Is it like A-2 whole piece cuff? or it's sewed together?
(like the question I asked on repro WEP jacket?)

Thanks

This should explain the sleeve ribbing detailing same as on most WEPs.

wepcuff.jpg

watchmanjimg

Interestingly, this cuff configuration appears on the later examples I've seen. The earlier WEPs had standard cuffs as seen on nearly every other nylon jacket I can think of.

Maverickson

Atticus said:
After seeing this thread, I dragged out my 1968 WEP and tried it on. Its a 46R and now fits very nicely, thank you---except that it is just too darned short. I know that WEPs were short jackets, but this one seems even shorter than an early L-2B.

Its really a shame. I would love to wear my WEP with Levis, but when I do I look even more like a dork than normal. And to add insult to injury, the jacket came with an original, Vietnam-era Patron 50 patch---which would look pretty cool on any jacket, IMO.

AF

Hay AF,

I found a good photograph taken by my father that reinforces your opinion of just how short the USN WEP flight jacket really was. This photograph was taken some time in 1968 in the VA-152 ready room aboard the USS Forrestal.

Slide01.jpg

Judging from this photograph all of those fellows seen here are wearing their pants high on their waist. All of those flight crew in denim dungarees and aviators in khakis which are not seen wearing those short WEP flight jackets are all wearing their pants way up there! Those short WEP jackets must not have forced those individuals to wear their pants in this manor. This was obviously a trend of that day.

Dave