• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WEP Jacket Date?

Atticus

My cousin is sorta engaged to a USMC Prowler (I think) pilot. He's a great guy and is one of the few military pilots I have ever met that actually likes flight jackets. I ran into him the other day and he was telling me that he wanted an original WEP, so I said I'd keep a look out for one.

Today, I snagged this one off of ebay. It ain't in great shape, but it only cost $9.99...and he'll like it.

So can any of y'all tell me when it was made?

9.jpg

AF

watchmanjimg

The only way to tell for sure is by researching the contract number, and sadly I don't have that information handy. However, I seriously doubt it's as late as 1969.

Atticus

watchmanjimg said:
The only way to tell for sure is by researching the contract number, and sadly I don't have that information handy. However, I seriously doubt it's as late as 1969.
Yeah, I've got a 1968 Land and it has a white tag, DSA number and the like. I think this is a second edition WEP, but I don't know when the first editions came out. I'm thinking the very early sixties.

Calling Mr. Deeb7....calling Mr, Deeb7.....

AF

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Here's the timeline ...

• MIL-S-18342: 1955
    MIL-S-18342A: 1956
    MIL-S-18342B: 1958
    MIL-S-18342C: 1964

Atticus

Thanks David! I hope the jacket turns out to be something more than just a total rag. I figured that I couldn't go too wrong for 9.99 and shipping. Maybe Flight Suits can install new knits and generally fix up the old jacket for M.J., and then he'll have something worthwhile.

AF

bazelot

Atticus said:
Thanks David! I hope the jacket turns out to be something more than just a total rag. I figured that I couldn't go too wrong for 9.99 and shipping. Maybe Flight Suits can install new knits and generally fix up the old jacket for M.J., and then he'll have something worthwhile.

AF

Did you get the jacket yet? I am also putting a WEP jacket back together for myself. I washed it by hand with mild soap and the result was outstanding. Dirty is not enough to describe how it got to me, filthy is probably more accurate. I also fixed the cuffs a bit. It looks great now. I will post pics soon.The only problem is that it does not have a label. Is has the brass small tooth conmar zipper and the cuffs that goes up nto the sleeve. Is there a way to date it?
Looking forward to the pics of yours!!

Atticus

I got the jacket. It is at the cleaners, right now. It is in much better condition than I had feared, but it needs new cuffs...and the lining is a little frayed around the collar. Oldly, it uses what I would call MA-1 cuffs, but in a different color....not sage. It doesn't have the "split" cuffs like my '68 Land. I guess the older WEPs were made that way? David says his records indicate my WEP was made in 1961. It is a B series jacket...or third edition...so that sounds exactly right.

I'll snap some photos when I get it back, but this jacket is bound for someone other than me. Its for my cousin's boyfriend, who is a USMC jet pilot.

AF

bazelot

Atticus said:
I got the jacket. It is at the cleaners, right now. It is in much better condition than I had feared, but it needs new cuffs...and the lining is a little frayed around the collar. Oldly, it uses what I would call MA-1 cuffs, but in a different color....not sage. It doesn't have the "split" cuffs like my '68 Land. I guess the older WEPs were made that way? David says his records indicate my WEP was made in 1961. It is a B series jacket...or third edition...so that sounds exactly right.

I'll snap some photos when I get it back, but this jacket is bound for someone other than me. Its for my cousin's boyfriend, who is a USMC jet pilot.

AF

Thanks! Let us know how yours turn out.
I posted my my here viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9901