• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

W&G AN6552 Depot Re-Furb

delta102uk

Just got this W&G AN6552 Depot Re-Furb yesterday, the knits have been replaced at some point, and the lining...which is in fantastic condition. The Talon zipper is original although a new slider could have been fitted??...It's tagged a size 40 but is very generous almost like a 42. Just wondered if any other forum members had come across similar depot refurbed jackets??

Picture1802.jpg

Picture1792.jpg

Picture1794.jpg

Sean K

Curahee

What a great find ! Never saw a refurbed USN jacket before, I believe I read somewhere on another forum that the USN had a policy of destroying old WW2 jackets. In fact burning a whole pile of jackets at one go ? What if I may ask did you pay for that jacket ?

delta102uk

I may ask did you pay for that jacket ?[/quote]

....Got this jacket for a very good price!...I was going to pass it on to another family member but too big for him and too small for me :x ...so it will probabley be sold on... (19.5 shoulders, 23.75 sleevess, 22 pit, 25.75 back length).

Sean K

Roughwear

jack aranda said:
What is 'Depot Re-furb(ished), please? Whoever/whatever, they did a nice job.

The USAAF and less often the USN had pre-owned jackets refurbished prior to re-issuing them to other airmen. A2s were often re-sprayed a dark seal brown and sometimes the knits and zips were replaced. It is rare to find surviving examples of refurbished naval jackets.

Grant

Can you provide any evidence that the USN "re-furbed" flight jackets in WWII? Sure it was quite common for the AAF to repair flight jackets but this is the first I've heard of such a thing and highly doubt it. Look forward to any documentation or evidence you may be able to provide.

delta102uk

Grant said:
Can you provide any evidence that the USN "re-furbed" flight jackets in WWII? Sure it was quite common for the AAF to repair flight jackets but this is the first I've heard of such a thing and highly doubt it. Look forward to any documentation or evidence you may be able to provide.

.....Just ask John Chapman.... ;)