• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vintage M-422 from neighbor's family

A friend recently showed me her grandfather's amazing M-422 from WW2. His name was Charles A. Hefelfinger, and he flew F4U Corsairs as a Navy pilot. Here's some photos to enjoy...please share any information, thoughts or insights into the M-422 as I would love to forward them to the jacket's family as background information on it.

photo4.jpg

photo1.jpg

photo6.jpg

photo5.jpg

photo7.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

Roughwear

Nice to have some history to this Block M422A. It looks like the jacket was well worn in the war and relined at some stage. Clearly the guy treasured his jacket.

I'm not sure if they are considering selling it...not sure what something like that is worth. I am excited to go back and see his flight logs from the War...I understand the family also has his uniform, sunglasses, hat and a custom made shoulder holster that a lot of the pilots apparently had made over there. Will post more photos if possible.

Here's a couple of Captain Hefelfinger himself...
P47w-All.jpg

Capture.jpg

dmar836

It will be interesting to see pics of his uniform. P-47 and cadet pic look AAF to me.

Thanks for posting.

Phantomfixer

The jacket is awesome, looks like there is some life left in her. Yup he looks AAF and the pic of the jug looks post war in an Air National Guard unit maybe....so back to the Corsair and Navy....Maybe Navy during WWII and USAAF/USAF post war??? Or was AAF and had the wisdom to trade for a NAvy jacket :eek: