• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vintage hide quality

cgreen

Hi Everyone, Happy 4th of July and Happy Canada Day if you're in North America - happy Saturday to everyone else. I know many of you have handled a great number of vintage pieces over the years so I'm hoping for some opinions on hide quality.

It seems that hides from the 1950s and '60s have a quality that is really something unique, even when compared to modern hides. Obviously they have sixty-seventy years worth of wear and wrinkles and creases but the grain seems just amazing.

The Classifieds section seems to gush over Monarch and Tauber, but why is that? Did those manufacturers use the best horsehides at the time?

What about Lewis Leathers' cowhide offerings from the 1970s? If you're looking at a vintage LL are you paying for name recognition or are you actually getting a great hide as well? I've seen some where the stitching was all over the play, the edges of the shoulder pads rolling up, etc, and yet others that were solid, which is so strange to me. Also, seems on the LLs the side tab hardware seems to patina.

By and large what in everyone's opinions are the best vintage manufacturers in terms of hide quality - and quality of craftsmanship. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks much. Enjoy the next few days.

Chris