• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vintage G-1 knit replacement sources

tempusfugit

What’s the best option for replacement knits for a 7823D series G-1? I have looked at Mash, but the color doesn’t seem correct. The knits on my jacket are very dark brown to the point of being almost black. Any ideas? In the mean time I’ll brush up my darning skills.

Brettafett

Headwind Mfg
Ive received some knit recently for a refurb and they are nice. Ask for the longer tunnel version if still available.
Cant speak to longevity yet, but so far so good.

Also Eastman, but $$
They have a 'Hickey' set, as is used on their Martin Lane repro.

MASH is OK, but sometimes it baubles...

Anyone else, I'd be keen to know myself.
I've found the seal colour varies for both originals and repros. Its lighter on my D series and a lot darker on my '61 RE

Griffon_301

got the replacement knits for my original 7823D Star G-1 and I am more than happy with them.
quality and colour are really good and have made the Star a nearly perfect every day wearer...
as the knits in my ELC G-1 are torn at places (I don't like the quality of them, the worst knits on any jacket I own) I also ordered a replacment set for that jacket just to be on the safe side :)
I would recommend Mash therefor...

tempusfugit

Headwind Mfg
Ive received some knit recently for a refurb and they are nice. Ask for the longer tunnel version if still available.
Cant speak to longevity yet, but so far so good.

Also Eastman, but $$
They have a 'Hickey' set, as is used on their Martin Lane repro.

MASH is OK, but sometimes it baubles...

Anyone else, I'd be keen to know myself.
I've found the seal colour varies for both originals and repros. Its lighter on my D series and a lot darker on my '61 RE
That headwind knit looks the be like a winner in terms of color, thanks! Is the longer tunnel version somehow different from what is shown on the web page?

as the knits in my ELC G-1 are torn at places (I don't like the quality of them, the worst knits on any jacket I own)
I've heard this about ELC knits a few times now. What do you think is bad about them? I definitely see that they are different in my ELC A2 compared to other knits I've handled, but can't say I'd rate them below or above others so far.

Griffon_301

I don't know how to properly describe the G-1 knits but the first word that springs to my mind would be "frail".
they look and feel thinner and less densly knitted than the replacement Mash knits for example, or any other knits on both ELC and BR jackets I own.
the effect is that the knits on both sleeves as well as the waist are now torn at places.
I have grown to accept that and view it as a kind of "time worn" appearance and meanwhile rest on the knowledge that I have replacements available :D

I forgot to mention that when I ordered the Mash replacements, there were several different versions available for the different contracts, 55J1 and 7823.