• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vietnam Era Patches - Picture Heavy

bgrant570

Hi there. I just posted today in the new member bio area and thought I'd share some Vietnam era patches handed down to me from my dad - several on his original G1. I figured if anyone would appreciate these it would be you gents.

This first one was his squadron in Vietnam. He flew EKA-3B's off of the Oriskany.
IMG_E0114.JPG

Next up is the US Navy patch on the right shoulder.

IMG_E0116.JPG

American flag on left shoulder.

IMG_E0117.JPG

Back patches including Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club, Tactical Electronic Warfare Wing Thirteen, and Ho Chi Whales '72. Dad's plane was nicknamed "The Whale" because it was the largest plane to take off and land on an aircraft carrier.

IMG_E0119.JPG

This was dad's training squadron, and I believe this patch was replaced with the VAQ-130 patch when he was assigned to that squdron during the war.

IMG_E0127.JPG

For whatever reason these never made it onto dad's jacket. Carrier patch.

IMG_E0130.JPG

First squadron after active duty. Reserves squdron.

IMG_E0131.JPG

Reserves squdron was redesignated from "VAQ" to "VAK". Note the Whale!

IMG_E0132.JPG

This was a morale patch commemorating their squdron's last deplyment in Vietnam. "Gonna hang up my hose!" refers to the A-3's role as an aerial refuler. It was originally designed and used as a bomber, but many were repurposed for electronic warfare and refueling capabilities.

IMG_E0129.JPG

Last edited: