• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

vet photos identify jackets (heavy photos)

A

Anonymous

0607040_6.jpg

0607040_4.jpg

0607040_3.jpg

Roughwear

The vet in the first two pics appears to be wearing a repro. Is it one of yours Platon? In the third pic his friend on the left is wearing an original with a nice Crown zip, possibly a Bronco or Sheeplined. The third guy maybe wearing an Avirex repro.

A

Anonymous

I plan to send one to President Obama but don't know what size he wears.

I want to send to vets but don't know their names/address unlike Obama's.
Then again, maybe his guards will think the jacket is wired or whatever and send me the CIA to check me and I am not in the mood.

Nice repro on that Vet by the way

deand

The vet in the first, second, and second-from-the-left, of the third photo looks to be wearing a "Flight Apparel" A-2, judging by the single stitching on the epaulette, like the one I recently acquired and subsequently modified by hand stitching a second row into them. The collar is a larger one like mine too, and the finish is similar.

dean

A

Anonymous

any ideas on the material of the patch on the original?
what could it be?

RCSignals

PLATON said:

Then again, maybe his guards will think the jacket is wired or whatever and send me the CIA to check me and I am not in the mood.

You could send a M-422 to John McCain and George Bush Senior both Naval aviators
An A-2 to GW Bush an ex USAF Nat Gd pilot

But Presidents and ex Presidents get gifts all the time.

Probably many other aviator Vets you could consider.

RCSignals

deand said:
The vet in the first, second, and second-from-the-left, of the third photo looks to be wearing a "Flight Apparel" A-2, judging by the single stitching on the epaulette, like the one I recently acquired and subsequently modified by hand stitching a second row into them. The collar is a larger one like mine too, and the finish is similar.

dean

I agree Flight Apparel Industries

ButteMT61

PLATON said:

I on occasion emailed with Ed "Doc" Pepping. Maybe he'd like one???

herk115

deand said:

Totally agree it's a Flight Apparel. They seemed to have had some "in" with the various bomb group reunion associations in the 1980s. My father bought several through his associations (2nd BG and 97th BG) and I have one of them in my closet. In my opinion they are the worst repro ever made, worse than any "mall" jacket. The single-stitch epaulets were bad enough, but the cut was baffling. You can't raise your hands higher than your waist in one of those because it's almost as if the bottom of the sleeve is connected to the body at the elbow! Try saluting in one of those. I finally ripped the armpit seams out of my dad's last jacket and added a leather patch by hand stitching to each armpit to provide the necessary mobility. It looks hokey but at least it's wearable, and it has been promoted from "lousiest" repro to merely "lousy."