• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vanson quality

cgreen

Hi All,

Quick question: what are people's thoughts on the build quality and materials for Vanson jackets? I have a mid-weight in mind that I can get a good price on but I want to know what I'm getting from a build perspective.

Considering the fact that Langlitz, Aero, Lost Worlds, etc are much higher price points what am I getting with Vanson? And to that end, why are those other manufacturers so much more expensive?

Please let me know, thank you. Enjoy the day.

Chris

Juanito

I have owned and currently own a number of all those jackets listed. The Vansons are great jackets. The leather is very robust, particularly in the competition weight steerhide, construction is solid, and they are the jacket of choice when I go riding. They are also very open to customization.

There are some small details that probably save on cost, like cuffs that are not sewn down and I think one of them has a plastic (but very robust) zipper, but like Platon's A-2s compared to the more expensive jackets, they are a comparative bargain for nearly the same quality.

Look, I like Langlitz and I even live local to their shop, but they are horribly overpriced. Don't get me wrong, they are great jackets, but like Lost Worlds and Eastman, you are paying a lot for the name.

Vanson is the bargain in the motorcycle world.

You know, writing this out got me thinking...of all the jackets I have owned ove the last 40 years or so, the Vansons are the only jackets I have never even contemplated selling.

Last edited:

cgreen

Thank you Juanito, I appreciate your candid thoughts. In looking at the different options you can spend a small fortune on a Lost Worlds, or a Real McCoy's, which make the $1,000 price point of Lewis Leathers, Schott, and Langlitz seem like relative bargains.

Vanson has women's offerings from $550 - $800, with some of the competition weight slightly over $900. I ask because I have an opportunity to pick up a preowned women's jacket for about $200 USD, which I think is pretty good, no?

cgreen

I have owned and currently own a number of all those jackets listed. The Vansons are great jackets. The leather is very robust, particularly in the competition weight steerhide, construction is solid, and they are the jacket of choice when I go riding. They are also very open to customization.

There are some small details that probably save on cost, like cuffs that are not sewn down and I think one of them has a plastic (but very robust) zipper, but like Platon's A-2s compared to the more expensive jackets, they are a comparative bargain for nearly the same quality.

Look, I like Langlitz and I even live local to their shop, but they are horribly overpriced. Don't get me wrong, they are great jackets, but like Lost Worlds and Eastman, you are paying a lot for the name.

Vanson is the bargain in the motorcycle world.

You know, writing this out got me thinking...of all the jackets I have owned ove the last 40 years or so, the Vansons are the only jackets I have never even contemplated selling.
Juanito, when you said the "cuffs are not sewn down," what did you mean? How does that work? On a moto jacket how would the cuffs not be sewn down?

Shanghai-Mayne

My friend own one. We compared that one with other three ELCs we own, both of us agreed the craftsmanship is not as good as ELCs, but it’s good enough for its price.

Juanito

Thank you Juanito, I appreciate your candid thoughts. In looking at the different options you can spend a small fortune on a Lost Worlds, or a Real McCoy's, which make the $1,000 price point of Lewis Leathers, Schott, and Langlitz seem like relative bargains.

Vanson has women's offerings from $550 - $800, with some of the competition weight slightly over $900. I ask because I have an opportunity to pick up a preowned women's jacket for about $200 USD, which I think is pretty good, no?
$200 is a fair to good deal depending on what model the jacket is. If I recall correctly, their base jackets start out at around $450, but it has probably been five years since I have bought one directly from Vanson.

cgreen

Thank you Juanito, the photo explains it quite well - how do the cuffs stay intact if they're not sewn down?