• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USN jacket sizing advice

Dr H

I've really enjoyed my AN-J-3, but am coming to the view that it's a touch too small (marked 40, it'll fit me but it's more snug than I like around the torso).
I've come around to a navy jacket though and am going to look for a clean wearable navy jacket. Not a big fan of the G-1, but the older pre-G-1 variants with the scalloped pockets and golden mouton appeal.
I prefer to wear a shorter armed, longer torso A-2 in a vintage 44. Which contract should I look for?
Advice appreciated from the naval types please.

Dr H

P.s. If I'm a vintage 44 A-2, am I a 42 or 44 in a jacket with a biswing back?

Dr H

Thanks Peter, in my limited experience the G&F is the 'Doniger' of the M-422As aren't they (rare/desirable/pricey)?
Better start filling the piggy bank...

Dr H

I'm sure you're right Peter; I thought that I'd read somewhere that they were more desirable/rare, but I know SFA about naval jackets and might have recalled it incorrectly.
I'll keep my eyes peeled for a 42.

jschare

You could get a repro M-422A from Gibson & Barnes or Bill Kelso. Both are relatively inexpensive and you can custom order to your measurements.

Peter Graham

Sorry, I can't let this go any longer. I've watched this thread go further and further down the screen. What's wrong with this forum ? A member asked a sensible question regarding Naval jacket sizing. I gave the limited advice that I have after owning a G&F M-422a. The only other post advised him to go and buy a repro. I know there are members here with a lot of experience of Navy jackets. Where's the response, where's the advice ? A few years back people would be falling over themselves to help. Not any more. No wonder we have lost so many members.

jschare

Peter Graham said:
Gordon & Ferguson M-422a's are long in the torso. You'd probably get away with a 42.

I thought all the M-422As were longer in the torso, not just the G&F?

If you want the scalloped pockets, you can do the M-422As, the 55J14s or the 7823s. Those all have scalloped pockets. I have a Cagleco 7823 that I really love!

DSCF0802.jpg

Go here: http://moorecustom.com/jackets/Moore_Jackets_navy.htm He is a member here. He has an extensive collection and has measurements to all the jackets that have come through his hands. You will see there are variations is sizing for the same contract for the same stated size.

Here is Roger's sizing chart: http://moorecustom.com/jackets/sizing.htm

Dr H

Thanks for your input Peter, jschare (finely patinated Cagleco 7823, I'd happily have a jacket in that colour - very well toned russet).
The link to Roger's website is very informative and I'll bookmark that one too
Cheers
Ian

Dr H

Platon, sorry to disappoint, but my behind looks a little less appealing in an M-422! :lol:

A

Anonymous

it's when you have to bound at the sight of the above behind otherwise there will be war and you will have to pay for it too.