• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USN G-1 Flight Jackets

Maverickson

This is a picture of my fathers first squadron VA-55 also known as the Warhorses. The time line is the late 1950's aboard the USS Bennington and this sharp looking bunch of naval aviators are shown in a group photo in front of a FJ Fury. The photographs shows the guys wearing a mixxed bag of G-1 flight jackets. These jackets are both World War II and Korean War vintage jackets worn by the squadron mates. My fathers original jacket as shown in the picture was stolen. I found a replacement jacket just prior to his retirement and had his duplicate patches attached. Enjoy! [ur
4-21-2008-10.jpg
l][/url]

hacker

Great photo!!! :cool: ....
......the guy in the middle seems to have on an Ed Church M422a.......

Hacker

Maverickson

My late father Cdr. "Buck" Elmer E. Sheeley USN retired is the guy in the middle row third from the right. All you can see of him is from the neck up. He is the naval aviator wearing his Lt. bars and a smile. He will be buried in Arlington Narional Cemetary on April 30, 2008. I just recently found this photo and many more while looking though his closet for the suit he will buried in. The family settled on his "Dress Mess". I had the suit dry cleaned, twelve of his important medals mounted, new gold stars ,stripes, badges and wings attached to his coat. I even spent an hour spit shinning his shoes. He will go out in style! Look for a wealth of future Buck Sheeley related Navy G-1 leather flight jacket photos to honor my father on this forum in the near future.
ButchOHare.jpg

The skipper CDR. Stinemates of VA-55 seen kneeling below my father aboard USS Bennington was a member of the same fighter squadron as the WW II Medal of Honor winner Butch O'Hare in the Pacfic. See the VF-3 Felix the cat patch on CDR. Stinemates M-422 flight jacket just above his name tag. This is the same squadron patch on Butch O'Hares F4-F "Wildcat" fighter as seen above. VF-3 was present at the battle of Coral Sea and Midway. CDR. Stinemates was a combat veteran of both WWII and Korea.