• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USMC in WW2

Marv

During the Pacific war does anybody know if the Marines used dubbin or any other product to seal their boondockers like the Army did with their roughout boots in the ETO.
The reason I ask is that I seem to recall reading somewhere that they didn't as they wanted their boondockers to allow water to get in and out so that their feet could breathe by letting the sweat soak through the leather as opposed to the boots being waterproof.
Not sure if there is any truth to this but if anybody knows the answer then by all means please share.

Hi Paul,

I'm not sure, but the photos I have seen lead me to believe the Marines didn't put anything on them, but I could be wrong. I sent your question to a buddy of mine who was a Marine in WWII a couple minutes ago via email and I will report back his answer.

Here ya go, Paul. My friend couldn't remember after all these years...but he DOES remember arriving at Boot Camp in 1944 and being marched and run around for two days in civvy dress shoes before being issued his boondockers.

Here's his answer:

I really don't remember what/if we put on them. They were not slick but
sorta like unshined leather. I know it was a relief to get them after
marching and half running the first 2 days in civilian shoes.

zoomer

If I know the Old Corps, they wanted to make sure the $#!!birds had plenty of good blisters before training REALLY began.