• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USCG G-1

Aerosquad

Hello All,

I purchased an issue USCG (perforated on the wind flap) G-1 a few years back and although it was new or never worn and is in good shape it is very dry and cracking in a few spots . Also the zipper is getting that green tarnish. I know everyone will suggest Pecards for the leather but I read one of John Cs articles where he used regular Vaseline because it was PH neutral ?
Anyone ever give this a try ?

jschare

I've used both and they both work well. The Pecard will last a bit longer than the Vaseline will though.

unclegrumpy

I bet with the USCG marking, your jacket is not that old....maybe no more 35 years or so. If it has been stored in a reasonably way, it might not need as much help as you might think.

There are several liquid shoe creams for dress shoes that might be all you need. Note I said dress shoes, not boots. You want something that does not have silicone, mink oil, or any waterproofers in it.

That said, I have used both Vaseline and Pecards, and both are very good choices. However, I sometimes find a light application of liquid shoe cream is all a jacket really needs to soften up enough to be worn.

Aerosquad

Thank you. Its time I bought Pacards for other jackets anyway. But ot answer your question I would say this jacket was made in 1986. The tag reads : Jacket, flyers, Intermediate, Type G-1
with the last line reading : DLA100-86-C-0481. So I beleive that would be 1986 ? Nice jacket but paper thin compared to An Eastman G-1

unclegrumpy

Yes, made in 1986.

I am a bit surprised to hear the leather is thin, many of the G-1s from the 80's are on thicker side, because they are cow hide rather than goat......yours is probably goat.

Aerosquad

MIL-J-7823(AS)
Orchard M/C Dist. INC
8415-00-286-7801

Is the rest of it on the label. I wouldnt say thin but not as thick as my Eastman. Maybe a bit stiff

CombatWombat

This is a not so good picture of it
IMG_20220702_132709.jpg

Spitfireace

Is that a 2000 issue jacket? Way to revive an old thread. I wasn't here even in 2014. Ya I've only been here 5 years. I would have to say the newer issue jackets are not going to cut it as far as the vintage classic feel.

CombatWombat

That being said it's not a bad jacket just not one that is my choice.
I honestly have zero idea when it was made mate...
I bought it as a placeholder for my AVI M422, which has finally arrived but this one is incredibly comfortable compared to the AVI one.... purely because it's worn in lol
As for "the classic look" I like the G1 hands down for the fact it's a good hard use jacket that works on a motorcycle, driving, down at the local pub and I don't shead a man-tear everytime I bump up against a rough wall or spill alcohol on it....
Can't do anything in my ELC or even the AVI what with the exchange rates and shipping

Spitfireace

Whatever is comfortable. Doesn't have to be a thousands of dollars jacket for that mate. Doesn't have to be a stitch for stitch reproduction. You know, I'm wearing a one hundred eighty dollar leather A-2 as I write this. I couldn't be happier with it.

Last edited:

Spitfireace

Sometimes your best fitting jackets are your cheapest. There's no rhyme or reason behind it. Expensive doesn't always equal best.

CombatWombat

Sometimes your best fitting jackets are your cheapest. There's no rhyme or reason behind it. Expensive doesn't always equal best.
Honestly my ELC jacket only comes out for airshows lol
I honestly can't stand A2 jackets because they have no "give" to them like the G1 style has with the underarm gussets and the bi swing back.
A2 jackets are good for photo opportunities and sitting when unzipped but G1's are great for driving stick