• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USAAF patches and a rare USN Squadron patch

bobbyball

Hi everyone,

Wanted to wait until these checked out before posting. Hope to have some pics up soon but had an amazing find at Beltring this year.

I was rummaging through a box of patches/badges and came across 7 US squadron patches. Although not my thing, I thought they would be good to cover some stitch holes on a few jackets of mine and they looked really good. I bought the lot for £120.00. They are all woven patches and a mixture of canvas and fabric. Two of them are felt.

They are:
95th Fighter Squadron (82nd Fighter Group)
81st Bomb Squadron (12th Bomb Group)
404th Bomb Squadron (28th Bomb Group)
VMSB 234 (Marine Scouting Bombing Squadron - Cactus Airforce)
415th Night Fighter Squadron (12th Air force) – Felt Disney 'Donald Duck'
715th Bomb Squadron (448th Bomb Group) – Felt Bunny from Captain Marvel
461st Bomb Squadron (came under the 8th Airforce)

I showed them to a couple of 'experts' who said they look original but without checking under UV it was difficult to tell. They are all a little dirty (nothing serious) but still in amazing condition). Another well known dealer who was buying up at Beltring was quite offhand when we showed him but past experience led me to believe I was on to something with these.

Anyhow, I have now checked them under UV and all except the last three (highlighted blue in the list) do not glow! I am thinking the last three were perhaps 50s or 60s produced as they are all handsewn and conform to early construction techniques). The last three may be reunion patches, who knows?

I understand that the VMSB 234 patch is quite rare but need to know what to do with them as I understand the US might be the best place to auction these as they are more collectable there. I am not sure ebay is the right route to go for these.

Roughwear

Bob, there are several patch collectors here who will be able to help you. Pictures of the patches would be appreciated. BTW there is section of the forum devoted to patches.