• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USAAF displays

bombs away

Hello,

I may come from another planet to some of "jackets-only" fellows, but to me jackets are just a part of the crews and pilot equipment (but I agree they are the best part ! :mrgreen: )

2 of my more recent mannequins:

First one is a waist gunner from a B-24 heavy bomber as you could have met him in the last part of 1944 :

He's wearing :
flight jacket type B-10, trousers type A-9, flight boots type A-6, flak helmet type M-3, flight helmet type A-11, oxygen mask type A-14, flight goggles type B-8, mae west B-4, parachute harness type A-3, chute pack type A-3, and a flak vest type M1/M2 with type M-5 apron.

4761773614_6d7dab4694_b.jpg

4761775420_47797b34c3_b.jpg

This second mannequin represents a fighter pilot from a 8th AF fighter group as you could have met him, climbing in his P-47 thunderbolt in 1943.
he is wearing :
flight jacket type A-2, suit type A-4, RAF patt.40 flight boots, RAF type C (early) flight helmet with oxygen mask type G, B-7 flight goggles, mae west type B-3, RAF patt.40 flight gloves and a type S-1 seat parachute.

4761776610_b29522815c_b.jpg

4761779448_f7be692e08_b.jpg

Tim

442RCT

I used to have three mannequins set up in my living room, when I got married, my new bride decided she didn't want a air museum in the corner of the living room. :eek: Now I'm down to one mannequin in my man cave room, it's a small room and I didn't have room for all three of the guys. They were disassembled and their uniforms and gear are stored... :? I haven't seen any of it since them, I guess I should dig it out of storage and put it up for sale instead of hoarding it away. :(

dmar836

Tim,
I agree with you wholeheartedly. I've been into USAAF collecting off and on for about 15 yrs. There is a lot out there to appreciate.
Dave
Kansas City, USA

PADDY_M

That's a better display than most museums!! Duxford (the premier flight museum in Western Europe) needs to get its' act together as far as displaying uniforms and flight kit (Andrew can testify to this!!). Quite abysmal frankly, and 'your' display puts it to shame!

dmar836

That's a bummer. My wife and I are coming "across the pond" in Sept. We had hopes of a visit to Duxford. I guess I'll have to drool over aircraft.
Anyone up for a pint while we're there in London, let me know. Maybe there's a cool vintage pub I don't know about!
Dave
Kansas City, USA