• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

US Navy Colvinex Leather Flight suit Suprise

fleet16b

Recently and old biplane pilot buddy of mine gave me his old Colvinex flight suit to use in my Fleet Finch Biplane.
It was pretty dirty and stiff having been hanging in his basement for years but a treatment of Pecrads brought it back to life nicely
Much to my surprise , when looking thru the leg pockets , I found the original instruction pamphlet in its original envelope.
Bet there are not many of them left in existence.

GetAttachment-5aspx_zps4769dcd5.jpeg

GetAttachment-6aspx_zpsdca7e912.jpeg

GetAttachment-7aspx_zps2c7ce980.jpeg

GetAttachment-8aspx_zps24116584.jpeg

dujardin

coollllllllllll

that's a splendid flight suit, she's warm and comfortable
you will love her, surely in flight

great to have the original instructions, cool surprise

oose

Hi,
Great Suit, I've always wanted one!, these were used by the early Naval Jet Pilots flying the FJ-1 Fury as they had no heating and the pilots found these the only suits that kept them warm at high altitude, here is a great photo I own of LCDR Robert M. “Bob” Elder FJ-1 Fury Pilot of VF-5A (VF-51) at NAS San Diego in 1948.

All the best
stu

fleet16b

That is pretty much identical to mine except my leg pockets are much lower
than on the example worn by Elder
Thanks for posting

Rutger

zoomer said:
Funny, a jet pilot wearing leather. Today you'd think "human torch."

I suppose only compared with nomex.
I assume leather flight suits would be considerably more fire retarding than the nylon (winter) flight suit, wouldn't they?

Apart from that, fleet16b , I'd sure like to see some pics of you and your plane, vintage look possibly ????

fleet16b

zoomer said:
Great looking helmet - full coverage. Where'd that come from?
Zoomer
The helmet is a Canadian "B" type helmet as used by the RCAF in WW2
The B type actually had zippered ear pieces on the sides so that Gosport speaking tubes could be used. However some were made without as mine was. They come up occasionally on Ebay
Mine is one size larger than I need but as you see the larger size covers better
The goggles are AN 6530's ( US made) from WW2

zoomer

Yes, I suspected the helmet was vintage. Modern ones leave more forehead and neck exposed.

Dr H

One for you Cam (assuming that you don't already have it):

Spalding Aviator's Clothing and Equipment in the 1920s-1930s

'This reprint of an original catalog offers a fascinating look back at aviation's early days, as reflected by the protective clothing used by pilots back then. Open-cockpits were the standard layout for aircraft, exposing fliers and passengers to weather, wind blast from propeller and slipstream, pure numbing cold, and lack of oxygen. Protective flying gear was essential, and Spalding offered some of the best. (Many of the patterns would be incorporated into Army Air Corps flying equipment---a sincere if indirect compliment.) This richly illustrated little book is a time capsule, and a window on a primitive, pioneering era in flying.'

Worth a punt though at less than $10...

Book Details
ISBN: 0764304038
Size: 6" x 9"
Illustrations: over 130 b/w images
Pages: 36
Availability: Now Available
Binding: Soft Cover

Some great period images:

http://www.schifferbooks.com/newschiffe ... 764304038#

See my other thread.

fleet16b

Hi Ian
Happy Holidays
Thanks and yes I have that one sitting here in my library in my office
A great little book , very handy for referencing.