• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

update on my irvin b forster project

mindful

just received my Irvin b and the cuffs and waistband and buttons just waiting on the mouton collar brought from lost world, new old stock mouton hopfuly will be right for the jacket here are some pic plus i noticed green mould on the zippier wondered how i could clean this up and what is the right leather restorer for this leather
006-1.jpg
005-2.jpg
012-2.jpg
004-1.jpg
001-1.jpg
013-1.jpg

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
I give up on the conditioner, because the other members are going to tell you to use Brylcreem. For the zipper, clean it with a toothbrush, then apply a little candle wax to the teeth.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Alcohol might dilute the patience. ;)

... and Byson Leather are doing the work, according to one of the other threads.

Dr H

Will be interested to know how you find the company. I'm considering them for the sleeve work on my Doniger. Neither Aero nor ELC will take on alterations on jackets other than their own.

mindful

i was searching on the net for leather jacket tailors and i found bysons they have very good reviews and vintage jacket experience i spoke to John who could've supplied the knits as well , he will charge me £40 to put the new cuffs and waistband on which was quit reasonable and will take about 3 weeks to repair and has good customer service so hopefully he will do a good job ;)

mindful

ive been trying to clean up this jacket ive used some elc cleaning products and conditioner and now i can really smell this old dusty smell on the leather is there anything i can do to get Rid it

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
To begin with, find somewhere sheltered, and hang it outside to air for a few days.

If that doesn't work, come back, and we'll tell you about the pet smell deodorizer, the coffee grounds, and the baking soda.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Let us know how you go ... I'm hoping this isn't something we should have addressed before the Eastman products went on.

mindful

i think the conditioner has enhanced the old dusty smell i know this probably was the wrong thing to do but i washed the jacket on a cold wash in washing machine and it has help the jackets smell alot and the leather still looks good

mindful

finally got the mouton fur from lost worlds very nice and soft dark tan colour i also washed the jacket got rid of the smells and gave it a condition with the antique peacards conditioner which has helped a great deal and just wondered whether it would need more than one condition with the peacards otherwise its of to bysons on monday
003-1.jpg

MikeyB-17

You can overdo Pecards, it only needs a small amount anyway, just rub it in with your fingers. I wouldn't use any more. Also interested to see how you get on with Byson-and I'd like to know more about the knits they supply. I wonder if they would be accurate for a Navy jacket, or whether they just use generic stuff. Next time I need a job done I might give them a shout.
(10 minutes later)
I've just had a look at their site-he's replacing flight jacket zips with NOS Talons sourced from Japan (MASH?) so looks like he knows his stuff. This does sound interesting.

Roughwear

I agree. Looking at the Byson Leather site the guy has replaced zips on a variety of Wartime jackets. He has also refurbished Irvins and is aware of the issue of sourcing original zips for these jackets. The prices seem reasonable. I await with interest the restoration of this G-1.

mindful

the guy i spoke with there is very helpful and new what he was talking about, the knits and cuffs he has are for a2 jackets not navy g1 jackets plus i notice a link from another site that recommended bysons where i brought my peacards from http://www.antiqueleatherdressing.co.uk/links.shtml so fingers cross. only thing is someone done a bad job of replacing the knits before on this jacket so im hoping it will look alot better .

mindful

mindful said:
the guy i spoke with there is very helpful and new what he was talking about, the knits and cuffs he has are for a2 jackets not navy g1 jackets plus i notice a link from another site that recommended bysons where i brought my peacards from http://www.antiqueleatherdressing.co.uk/links.shtml so fingers cross. only thing is someone done a bad job of replacing the knits before on this jacket so im hoping it will look alot better .

soon as i get the jacket back i will show the out come ;)