• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

UNBELIEVABLE Grain for a repro!!

Andrew

Amazing looking alright. It looks like a refurbished original. I wonder if the seller is a member here as i'd like to know how much HWT he had to give it to get that look. It must be a recent build as well as I think John only got his first HH earlier in the year.

Mine's had some hot water gently run over the outside only but that looks like it may have been fully washed. Lovely looking jacket.

I saw it too and was wondering if anyone will buy it like that. The spray finish horsehide Dubow I bought has developed some graining but not to that degree. Doing a hot water treatment kinda scares me. I do however just mist it with regular temp tap water and then wear it till it drys. This is the result of just a few months of wearing it. It really has some grain between the left pocket and the storm flap.
IMG20071102_20081109_00012.jpg

fedoralover

Falcon_52

I think it must have seriously shrunk in the dryer too. It's tagged a size 46 but the armpit-to-armpit now measures 23". Do United Sheeplined jackets typically run a bit small for their tagged size?

Regardless, it looks tough as hell...

Noel

Lignemaginot

I bought that jacket from a forum member here (he was from Oakland - don't think he's a member here anymore); I then sold it on to the gnetleman who is now selling it - he must have done that treatment himself because it was pretty much new when I sold it.

It's a great jacket, but the sizing is definitely different - it was very narrow across the back, and pinched my armpits. It is actually the display jacket that appears (or used to appear) in John's photo section about his United Sheeplined - so if it's still there, you can look at before and after pictures....

I trust he gets more for it than the opening bid of $400. If I recall correctly, he paid me twice that amount.

CBI

I think that generally, United Sheeplined is a pretty generous cut as well as a little longer at the bottom (lower waistline). FL - looks good. Just received my dark russett HH Werber, very smooth HH but already some nice grain (1 week)

SuinBruin

Sizing on Good Wears is definitely different... I wear an off-the-rack 40 long, and John gave me a 44 for my made-for-me GW Bronco. (It fits well, too... I think he went up to 44 because of the tight shoulders on Broncos.)

I also bought one of John's return/test jackets... the Perry in seal HH shown on his site. It's marked a 46, and is definitely a touch big around the chest, but it fits me pretty well, too. (I also tried on one of John's Werbers tagged as a 46 and it was both too big around the chest and too short, so the pattern definitely has something to do with it.)

My impression is that John builds his jackets very close to the tagged sizes (while taking the vagaries of different patterns into account). Thus, my 46 Perry is not much more than 23" across the chest. Whether this is true to the vintage originals I can't say. (Though this was also the case with the RMNZ Monarch I briefly owned... it was tagged a 42, but was definitely tight across my chest.)

Lignemaginot

I liked the quality of John's United Sheeplined so much that I sent him an original size 46 27753 to copy. It's very close, although I do hope that it doesn't get any bigger (from stretching or whatever) as it breaks in.

CBI

Yes, GW, great stuff, the Werber that came this week is my 5th GW now in my closet. My GW's are either 44's or 46's. Each fits differently but really well. I have alwasys been a fan of Aero and ELC but I can't buy everything so I am keeping any future purchases to GW.