• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

translation please

dujardin

hello,

can someone tell me if the writing is correct on this repro ?????

BjduZwQWkKGrHqMH-CUEsNRrUPiRBLTrHJl.jpg

many thankssssss
marcel

Andrew

Rich, aside from stylistic differences they do appear to generally match up, although this one has a few more characters than an original I found in Google images- (says absolute know nothing about Chinese Characters).

This is apparently the translation...
“[t]his foreign person has come to China to help in the war effort. Soldiers and civilians, one and all, should rescue, protect, and provide him medical care“. Another Flying Tiger chit read: “I am an American airman. My plane is destroyed. I cannot speak your language. I am an enemy of the Japanese. Please give me food and take me to the nearest Allied military post. You will be rewarded.”

442RCT

Recently I bought 4 different pieced leather repro blood chits from a guy who told me each represented a different type;
1. AVG type - Chinese flag with writing
2. 14th AF - Chinese flag with writing
3. CBI - Chinese and American flag, CBI patch and writing
4. CBI variation - American flag with Chinese writing

I haven't seen the book, but it appears people selling blood chits use it as a reference.
Last Hope: The Blood Chit Story

http://www.snyderstreasures.com/pages/bloodchits.htm

I saw that leather chit in your picture on ebay, but didn't really like the way the script was done.
I liked the pieced leather construction, but usually Chinese script is done with a brush with tapering lines instead of the uniform 'ball pen or fine marker lines' of the chit your pic showed.
If I bought that chit, I'd get a brush and redo the script.
http://www.chinese-characters.net/images/strokes2.gif

Here's a blood chit that sold on ebay recently to give you an example of the difference in script.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT

dujardin

thanks all for your answers,

i already compare this one to others i have in a file, i have to admit that it's similar but as you remark, over paint the charachter with a brush will magnify the blood-chit.

is there no chinese member on the VLJ ? simply to clarify the problem.

the chinese letters (symbols) are so complicated (shopisticated) that with just a little difference the signification is completely different.
just for the joke, can you imagine you are wearing a splendid jacket on with is sewn a blood-chit saying that ''i'm a poor american pilot completely drunk and lost in my own town aso aso'' or ''my balls are so small aso aso''

many thanks again for your help

marcel

shedonwanna

I used Last Hope for a reference and had a friend (Chinese) translate my reproduction. Many vintage chits were made in India, Burma, Pakistan, etc... and the artists did not speak or write Chinese so sometimes even what we consider an original may have errors. Chits continued to be sold as souviners for several years after the war. The official silk and cloth chits often had serial numbers which were sometimes copied on the leather chits. I showed my friend several images from the book and from my files and he quickly recognized which were probably painted by someone with little or no knowledge of Chinese. He also pointed out that after the Communists gained control the Chinese characters were altered over the years so that modern Chinese characters differ somewhat from the earlier texts.

Here are two chits I made and the Chinese characters take a lot of practice to paint...

chitsd.jpg

Vcruiser

There was a member here(older version forum)who's wife was Chinese and could recognize one or more Chinese dialects. With her help he seemed to comfirm/deny if dual name nametags were original or made Chinese sense...as well as helping on repros tags. However,I can't remember his user name. Perhaps he's still around......
Van

rich

Gear Up claims it says this on one type -

Dear friend, I am an Allied fighter. I did not come here to do any harm to you who are my friends. I only
want to do harm to the Japanese and chase them away from this country as quickly as possible. If you will
assist me, my government will sufficiently reward you when the Japanese are driven away.

The book says chits were later more commonly sewn on the inside of the jacket, in case the pilot came down in a communist area.

You did a great job with your calligraphy Shedonwanna.

442RCT

dujardin said:
thanks all for your answers,
just for the joke, can you imagine you are wearing a splendid jacket on with is sewn a blood-chit saying that ''i'm a poor american pilot completely drunk and lost in my own town aso aso'' or ''my balls are so small aso aso''

many thanks again for your help

marcel

bloodchit_joke-1.jpg