• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Toyo Californian

asiamiles

Just took delivery of this horsehide Californian repro from Toyo (ie. Buzz Rickson's). Gorgeous mouton fur shawl collar. Not sure exactly when the original would date from -any ideas? - but one could imagine something like this being worn in open cockpits. Unfortunately, it's the wrong time of year for me to try and see how I like it; fit is fine, though sleeves could do with shortening if I decide to keep it. JC is now following in the footsteps of Toyo and also making Californian repro's.
californian.jpg

Corey

That's a beautiful, classically styled jacket. I love jackets from that period. What's the leather like, weight and pliability wise? And what sort of lining does it have? It's amazing to me that these Japanese firms are so passionate about details and recreating those jackets.

Here's few pics of one of my favorite HH jackets of a similar style:

650144255_zTdUf-L.jpg

650145529_KmPTr-L.jpg

650146842_WCUtD-L.jpg

650148031_uUes6-L.jpg

asiamiles

Corey said:
That's a beautiful, classically styled jacket. I love jackets from that period. What's the leather like, weight and pliability wise? And what sort of lining does it have?
The lining is plain black, which is a little disappointing. I expected it to be heavy and stiff like an Aero or LW, but it's surprisingly light and pliable ie. wearable! more comparable to the Buzz B-2, but I feel this is a more practical jacket.

Corey

asiamiles said:
Corey said:
That's a beautiful, classically styled jacket. I love jackets from that period. What's the leather like, weight and pliability wise? And what sort of lining does it have?
The lining is plain black, which is a little disappointing. I expected it to be heavy and stiff like an Aero or LW, but it's surprisingly light and pliable ie. wearable! more comparable to the Buzz B-2, but I feel this is a more practical jacket.

Miles--sounds like the leather on your California is more like the originals. I have admittedly only owned a small sample of originals but they did not have nearly as heavy and stiff leather as Aero FQHH (not that I don't like their utility jackets as I own two myself).

Corey