• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

tossing an idea around in my head, opinions?

Hawkeye

I was contemplating taking a stab at jacket-art, nothing fancy, just something simple. So I cut out a few bombs from paper and placed them roughly where I'd like them. I used to build and paint alot of aircraft models so I'm confident I'll be able to paint them correctly, but I'd like some opinions on the placing and style of the art. Thanks!

IAC063.jpg

IAC055.jpg

Tim P

Once the first brush stroke is in place there is no turning back. I love what my jackets look like after painting.
woirk within you limits and remember that some of the works of art that are about today are beautiful beautiful farbs. rough and ready was often the order of the day so dont let lack of 'talent' force you into thinking that a right looking jacket cant be produced.

ghq1

What about painting a scrap piece of canvas or leather . . ..then cookie cuttering the bombs from there . . .

Then you could sew the bombs in place . . .plus this option is reversible (other than stitch holes)

Or create one large patch with any number of bombs . .then sew that patch . .and if it's big enough you could even make a chest pocket out of it. . . .

CBI

General placement of bombs is good (there are a million options. Typically grouped in 5's as you have done. I think it would look better with 3 or 4 bombs on the second row.

Easy to paint, decide how many/configuration of bombs. Make a stencil of the complete tally, on card stock, damp paint on very lightly with a make-up sponge. Make sure the sponge is only a little damp with paint. You can add levels of thinkness easily this way. If you want something very new looking, then brush over the light stencil once you used the make up sponge.

Again, I like the look of two more complete rows than the one bomb hanging there on row two.

Chris217

I like the way the bomb talley was done on this A-2 that was worn by Lt. Richard Douglas, bombardier, 832nd BS, 486th BG.

Looks like a Spiewak.
Douglas02.jpg

Douglas04.jpg

Lt. Douglas wearing his A-2 at Sudbury 1945.
Douglas34.jpg

Chandler

From a graphic compositional standpoint, if I were going to have one single hanging out there like that, I'd put i to the far right. Near to the zip. JM(P)O.

Chandler

Grant

Jerome painted bombs on the back of my Buzz B-10 based nose art from an 8th AF B-17.

BRB-10back.jpg