• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Toons at war

patchking

Thanks for providing a link to my blog. If anyone has any questions about Disney combat insignia, drop me a line.

I have conducted a ton of research on Hank Porter - he was the Disney artist who created at least 75-80% or more of the designs created at the Studio during the war. I have a HUGE archive of his work. I have interviewed his two surviving children - his daughter Maxine worked with her ad at Disney's during the war and had some great insight.

As far as Bugs Bunny, well I only focus on Disney at this time.

As an interesting sidenote, I am helping the Diane Disney Miller (Walt's daughter) and the Walt Disney Family Foundation with the Walt Disney Museum under construction at the Presidio in San Francisco. Part of my extensive collection will be on display in the WW II gallery. I also hope to mount a special WW II insignia display and do some guest lectures. The Museum is on track to open the week after Labor Day, 2009.

Cheers.

David

patchking

Thanks!

I meant to add that I maintain a couple of Disney WW II insignia-related databases. I have managed to identify just under 1,100 Disney combat designs. It's been a while since I counted, but if I recall correctly I think I now have images for around 600 and have unit biographies for around 450 or so.

My own personal collection now numbers just over 300 Disney war items, equally split between home front and insignia.

Chandler

patchking said:
As far as Bugs Bunny, well I only focus on Disney at this time.

Well then, maybe the site ought to be called "The Mouse at War!" :D

Seriously, have you come across any of the correspondence from the Disney Studios when they were quoting the government for training cartoons? I guess Warner Bros. estimate came in at half or quarter the time it would take Disney and Disney was flabbergasted. Warner made good on their estimate too.

Chandler