• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Theory regarding the purpose of A-2 epaulettes

Peter Graham

I know various opinions have been expressed regarding the purpose of A-2 epaulettes, from loops for a parachute harness to simply giving the jacket a more military appearance but here's a theory that I don't think has been mooted before. I got this idea from the Dutch tanker suit that I wear as overalls. The shoulders each have a loop of webbing stitched on which is odviously designed for lifting an injured crewman from the tank. Could this be the intended purpose for the A-2 epaulettes. Why else would the stitching be so over engineered ? Maybe I'll ask someone to drag me out of my car by the epaulettes to test it ! What do you guys think ? Apologies if someone has suggested this before but I can't recall it.

better duck

Well Pete, when discussing this subject, the scenario of lifting an airman from his plane was one of the options. So that one isn't new. I seem te remember that the issue was undecided, but not credence was given to this scenario.

Swing

They're for decoration/appearance, same as the snap/button down versions on the B-6, B-10, and L2.

~Swing