• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

the VLJ original A-2 jackets book

A

Anonymous

Sure this can be done with other types but I am using A-2 as an example.

Someone with a server could setup an FTP site where member can upload all their photos of original jackets
Their own jackets, or others found on the web.
we let the site open for months until everybody has uploaded the more they can,

then someone with a lot of free time can look at the photos, delete the duplicates, and optionally try to categorize.
When this is done, all members of VLJ to have access to download the photos for free to see or keep for reference.

like a photo database.

What do you think?

ButteMT61

Create an album on Photobucket, and give everyone the ID/Pass.
No monkeying around with old-school tech.

A

Anonymous

photobucket is slow as snail
FTP is the only thing for serious file transfers
photobucket is for amateur users, and few pics, I alone have 6000 pics it will take ages to upload
with FTP only 3 mins and it's all done on auto provided you have the ftp client and know how to use it
Actually it's piece of cake. It's less difficult than to post a photo in this forum

ButteMT61

PLATON said:
photobucket is slow as snail
FTP is the only thing for serious file transfers
photobucket is for amateur users, and few pics, I alone have 6000 pics it will take ages to upload
with FTP only 3 mins and it's all done on auto provided you have the ftp client and know how to use it
Actually it's piece of cake. It's less difficult than to post a photo in this forum

I've got servers all around the world, and FTP is fine if you're just dumping data from A to B.
Who the hell is going to manipulate 10's of 1000's of pics into "albums"? Come on...
Pony up for a rackspace(.com) account then. Pay someone to go through GB's of photos, and organize them. Nobody is going to do this for free - not even a jacket nut(job). :lol:
6000 pics at a measly 500KB each still = 3GB. You're not FTP'ing files from Greece in 3 mins. Even with a 10Mbps upload, you're talking almost an hour.
But none of that matters, because I don't think anyone is going to take a server filled with pics and organize them. But...if they did, then what?

Vcruiser

Well..I sure don't think that Bill French would want to sort through and arrange pages and pages of pics..but I could be wrong I suppose.
VB

A

Anonymous

well I know guys who organize millions of mp3 files and they have terrabytes of them.
I know the organizing part is a pain, but we could at least share our photos if we all upload ours in there and then download them all. We could get a copy of the database, even unorganized it doesnt matter
if nobody want to organize them for the others, let us all get them unorgaized and each one of us organizes what he wants if he wants when he wants for himself

2BM2K

A photo database of jackets is a good idea. Photobucket is not really suitable as there is limit to photo size, need the photo's in original size and bigger the better.

Clearly the problem is the time required to organise such a database, too much for one person. Maybe
several people could do it by having, say, makers/contracts assigned to different people and keeping a log of changes.

ButteMT61

PLATON said:
well I know guys who organize millions of mp3 files and they have terrabytes of them.
I know the organizing part is a pain, but we could at least share our photos if we all upload ours in there and then download them all. We could get a copy of the database, even unorganized it doesnt matter
if nobody want to organize them for the others, let us all get them unorgaized and each one of us organizes what he wants if he wants when he wants for himself

Seems with all your experience here and friends with x, y & z, you should just do it. I have the resources, but I'm not up to the task. Not sure what the goal is here. Seems you're looking for all the pics others can upload for use. I think most folks find forums and the internet and their collections suffice.
I manage the studios who's content covers all the major labels for the last 50+ years. That's recordings and all their photo assets for albums, CD's, ads, etc. Not new to this game, but I don't see any real motivation to do this for the average person here...

A

Anonymous

anyone who is not interested is not forced to participate
he will not get the username/password to download the photos
if the server is available and interest from members is there
I dont see why not to do it
everybody will benefit from it

bfrench

Administrator
PLATON said:
anyone who is not interested is not forced to participate
he will not get the username/password to download the photos
if the server is available and interest from members is there
I dont see why not to do it
everybody will benefit from it

There's one other problem with going public with images - that is, image ownership and display permission.

How would that work????

Roughwear

It's a good idea, but ownership of images is an issue. Besides we have JC's flight jacket CD for reference along with all the posts of original jackets here.

A

Anonymous

There's one other problem with going public with images - that is, image ownership and display permission.

not really a problem, the photos will not be 'in public' and especially not for sale
the images will be stored in a private server, where access to will be controlled by its owner (with username/password)
and only very few people (members here) will download them.

Also, we are talking about photos collected from the web, photos shot by members here (e.g. Andrew's jacket collection photos) etc

On the web you can find anything from e.g. the latest Rihana album to the latest Matt Damon movie.
Who's gonna bother for some photos of some rubbish jackets?

bfrench

Administrator
PLATON said:
SNIP
On the web you can find anything from e.g. the latest Rihana album to the latest Matt Damon movie.
Who's gonna bother for some photos of some rubbish jackets?

Just because it's on the web it doesn't make it legal - just follow the music and video download wars.

A

Anonymous

I am not saying it's legal
I'm just saying the FBI is too busy hunting them
nobody cares about the a-2 photos we are going to share if this is done