• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Thing+ A-2

DJS48

I was watching this movie on a big screen tv and the A-2 Capt Hendry (Ken Tobey) was wearing looks to have a Crown zip and some snaps on the collar, perhaps for a fur collar? I am certain the snaps were a modification somewhere in the jacket's life. However, the main question is: anyone who has seen the movie, have an idea what make this A-2 is?
Cheers,
Don

asiamiles

THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD is a favourite of many on here due to both the great jackets on display and the fact that it's a sci-fi classic. Tobey's jacket has been discussed before and I'm pretty such a maker's name has been put forward, but I can't recall what now. I love 50's sci-fi flicks and they were instrumental in me wanting an A-2, since the hero often could be seen sporting one, and Tobey's is probably the ultimate. My love of, though not my interest in the A-2 has now passed, but I still retain my affection for 50's sci-fi.

I often wondered why Kurt Russell didn't wear an A-2 in the remake of THE THING, but maybe it wouldn't have looked right on him. The design seem to perfectly fit the 50's man but two or three decades on, whether due to changing body shapes or what, it doesn't look so good to me. Some might say, it's simply better in black and white but I don't think that's it. McQueen looked the bees knees in his A-2 in THE GREAT ESCAPE but he didn't wear one afterwards...maybe he was onto something.

DJS48

Mr. Asiamiles,

The Thing is also one of my favorite movies as well and of course airplanes and A-2's really fill the bill. I remember i was about 6 years old when I first saw the movie and it scared the heck out of me as many other sci-fi 50's movies did. I was also later relieved that Jmaes Arness turned out to be a good guy....thanks for the reply.

Cheers,
Don

DJS48

Mr. deeb7,

Thanks for the link. I know now what organization the patch on Tobey's A-2 represents. Although I did not see the info regarding the jacket maker.

Cheers,
Don

asiamiles

mrchina said:
Thanks for the link. I know now what organization the patch on Tobey's A-2 represents. Although I did not see the info regarding the jacket maker.
Yeah, it seemed we didn't ID it after all

asiamiles

John Chapman has informed me that it's a Dubow, the most stylish of A-2's IMO and the last I let go of...Buzz repro, of course.

DJS48

asiamiles,

thank you and john for the jacket i.d. I have a GW Dubow and believe as well it is probably the most "stylish" of the a-2 "line".

cheers and regards,
don

asiamiles

mrchina said:
I have a GW Dubow and believe as well it is probably the most "stylish" of the a-2 "line".
You could get it patched and snapped to make it a repro of Tobey's!