• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Roger Freeman Collection

shedonwanna

Roger's research and image collection is an awesome documentation of the 8th Air Corps. The following image from his collection was my dad's B-17, the Jamaica Ginger.

media-380317.jpg

blackrat2

The two pictures you have played with look superb,amazing the difference they make to the colour of the two A2's in particular

Silver Surfer

the redo of the first pic, shows what appears to be engine oil staining on the rw. every now and again an original will show up with that kind of staining. sometimes the jac will be nearly completely covered, to the point of almost looking like a redye. sometimes just splats, usually on the bottom front and or arms. nice work.

tibor

I think reality is somewhere between the two... the second pair of photos has drifted the mortar in the bricks to have a blue-ish cast, and the bricks have lost any brown/red cast. I love the look of the original photos but they're probably too far towards the yellow scale. Great photos regardless!

Steve27752

It's the small details that I like. In the first picture the hat strap has gone missing, or been removed.
before the colour adjustment, the RW looked more like a 1401P with it's lighter shade.

herk115 said:
2BM2K said:
The above two photo's have a colour cast due to ageing. Searching around for some software to restore the photo's
colours I came across this http://www.lionhouse.plus.com/photosoftware/gimp_plugins/

Using this software, and after some experiments and adjustments, produces these results;

restore_new3.jpg

new_restore2.jpg

I ran those same two photos through Photoshop Auto Color Correct, and got the same result. I was going to post them but you beat me to it!

2BM2K

the RW looked more like a 1401P with it's lighter shade.
To me the zipper looks like a bell-shaped Talon, a type commonly fitted to the 27752 contract. Some jackets of this contract
can be found in a russet colour.

Of course there is always a possibility that a few jackets from an earlier contract had a bell-shaped Talon fitted. Unless there
are any other distinguishing features visible then it is down to a matter of probability.

I think reality is somewhere between the two... the second pair of photos has drifted the mortar in the bricks to have a blue-ish cast, and the bricks have lost any brown/red cast. I love the look of the original photos but they're probably too far towards the yellow scale. Great photos regardless!
I did try, many times, to get the colours to match but the adjustments were very tricky. In the end it is just down to personal judgement.

There is another colour group-photo. This photo is in a poorer condition than the first two. I have tried to correct the the colour cast in this but
have not had much success, this is the best I could do (not that good really);

0052_restore.jpg