• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The RAF Aircrew Emergency Whistle

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Ha !! I'd been wanting one of these, found it this morning at a local antique/collectables fair, and the bonus is that it's RNZAF.

It came with a grouping ... I just wanted the whistle, and the two bakelite dog tags. To get them I had to buy the lot, with his badges, buttons, and even his medals, but anyway .... happy now. :D

AM_Whistle.jpg

Andrew

Well I... think that's very cool you lucky bugger, well done.

Fan of AM whistles, and wings- especially of one's own AF. And DT's as well. Great to keep them all together.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
unclegrumpy said:
Were you able to sort out anything regarding the fellow's history from what you got?

Nothing much ... I have his name, and number, Sergeant stripes, and there's a Pacific Star amongst the medals.

More Googling is required ...

unclegrumpy

With what you have, I would think it should be enough to write for his service record...if that is something that the Government allows to be released.

Good luck!

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
unclegrumpy said:
With what you have, I would think it should be enough to write for his service record...

Thanks, that's an idea ... we get one free request per annum, after that it's $28.00.

helodrvr

That is a lovely piece, David, much nicer than the one I found with a lot more background.

I have a question. I see many photos with these whistles attached in various places to A-2 jackets. Does anyone have any ideas on how they were attached? I have seen them hanging from collar snaps as well as the metal throat latches. But I don't have a clear photo showing how they were attached. I am guessing that you would want to be able to access the whistle fairly easily but would also want it securely attached so that it stayed with you in case of a bail out or crash landing. Also it would need to be out of the way of shoulder straps and harnesses. Small, hard metal objects can be very uncomfortable when pressed hard against your collar bone or the soft tissue of your neck. I would really like to hear how people have observed them attached to the jackets.

I was always taught that it is much easier to blow a whistle than to yell for help. So for the last too many years, I have always had this poor, plastic copy in my pocket...

IMG_0786w.jpg

Thanks,

Mel

helodrvr said:
I have a question. Does anyone have any ideas on how they were attached? I have seen them hanging from collar snaps as well as the metal throat latches. But I don't have a clear photo showing how they were attached.

Thanks,

Mel

Like this:

IMG_1391.jpg

IMG_1390.jpg

Bevan

helodrvr

Thanks Bevan and David. Boy, I posted then caught a flight. When I came back in there were the two photos. I appreciate the wealth of knowledge shared here!

Mel

Andrew

Geez he's a young kid. It makes you think about that often quoted line that many weren't even old enough to drive and there they were controlling dangerous high powered machinery.

kiltie

Here's a bit of thread resurrection for ya -

I picked up this whistle a few weeks back and was wondering about its "period correctness". I know the Gemsco stamp on uniform hardware is somewhat desirable, but that's about it.

IMG_6749.jpg

IMG_6750.jpg

I watched an Air Ministry stamped whistle go for somewhere in the neighborhood of forty US dollars the other day, and there's currently a Gemsco stamped Thunderer on eBay with a $40 BIN. I scored this one for about ten or fifteen, though.

This site http://home.comcast.net/~swarshaw/WhistleBookwABC72809.pdf makes a reference, but with no dates, and the Whistle Museum page has a Regulation whistle stamped Gemsco, but no Thunderer. In any event, I can't find a whistle with these exact markings with a reliable production era cited.
I'm not especially concerned with it's worth/value - it's serving its purpose where it is - but I would like to have the "right" whistle.