• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The lowdown on pinks, greens and chocolates.

Andrew

Anyone here expert enough to give a description of when/where the different coloured shirts/jacket/tie/and trousers were worn? Also, were there any rules about what colour crusher could be worn with either set?

Also, was the pinks shirt actually khaki? I have athe shirt of a TSgt and it's definitely khaki but aside from being a better quality fabric was an officers shirt also a different colour? Finally, where was the Rangoon style worn and did it also come in chocolate?

If anyone has pics of all this i'd appreciate it. I guess this is an excuse to go out and buy "Pinks and Greens".

All this was probably straightforward for Europe, but what were they wearing in the SWPA and CBI? Most shotsi've seen they're wearing "khaki" trousers.

I'd like to get hold of an Officers shirt (say s44) if anyone has one they want to get rid of.

ausreenactor

Andrew...

This is a huge can of worms. There are a load of references out there for any combo you would want. I have a good original AAF jacket with matching chocolate trousers. They are a 34 and tad too small. Bought some good repro pinks pants in a 36 that also suit the look. To match the repro 'Pinks' trousers I grabbed both a Chocolate and Pink ELC Rangoon. Did the Choc as a 82nd Captain and the Pinks as a 9th AAF Captain, topped off with an Airborne tab for C-47 Pathfinders. Overseas caps in the reverse top them off. Pinks OS cap on the Choc shirt and vice versa. Have the Choc Diamond Flighter for the AAF ensemble.

Pacific I think you would go Khaki. Any of the WWII Impressions, ATF or WPG stuff would fulfil your Summer weight needs. Epps for Officers. I am sure you could find either a late/postwar or early Overseas cap with officer piping at WWII Impressions.

Your desired outfit could go any number of directions with a cap or shirt change!! Some Russet boots or Corcorans and you are set. You could even go Army/USMC Rough Outs in a pinch. If you need any pics or measurements let me know..

Couchy

Andrew

Thanks for that Trev, but I have to say i'm not about to get into re-enacting (I dragged my family the other week to the Land and Air spectacular at Helidon just down the road from you and afterwards all my Wife could say was "what a load of Nerds" complete with :roll: ). If I ever did that she'd be filing for a divorce. I don't even feel comfortable wearing a pair of mossimo flat front baggy khakis with an A-2 as it's too litteral for me. Jeans only. It's ok for you as you are walking the walk as well.

I'm interested in having an original uniform in a size to match my original jackets- in the event of displaying, photographing, sale etc. Just a whim.

BTW, did you hear about that event of the "Meeting of the Trojans" at Toowoomba on the same day? I hear there was some Korea RAAF re-enacting there.

CBI

Actually, some high waisted pants from WWII Impressions or At The Front go great with an A-2 and you won't look like a nerd (if you add the OD shirt and crusher then yes, seek help).

Its a nice look and as long as the shirt is civi you should be fine.

Swing

Don't have much to add other than I don't believe the cotton summer uniform was ever approved for use in the ETO, and IIRC, you weren't allowed to wear it in the US until after May 1st. Not sure when they had to switch back to the wool uniform, but I'd imagine it would have been by September 30th. Wool could be wore year round in the US.

~Swing

lee

My understanding is that the pink shirt is worn with class A's (with jacket on) and the OD shirt is worn on class B's (without jacket)- at least I think that was the intended policy but each command probably had their own discretion.

ausreenactor

Andrew...

I would not take my wife. She makes those comments and makes the :roll: and :evil: when the parcels are
opened up..I agreed we may be a bit nerdish...but we are not out and out metrosexual or worse like the "hackers
and slashers". Must admit a broadsword would do more than a blank round of ammo. But with a 16" bayonet on the
end I would fancy my chances...

I am sure you could find a decent pair of Gabardine daks....PM your address and I could send you a smallish pair gratis to whet
your appetite...then a jacket and membership form...Is that how "dealers" do it...give a few freebies??

Let me know!!

Couchy

ausreenactor

CBI said:
Actually, some high waisted pants from WWII Impressions or At The Front go great with an A-2 and you won't look like a nerd (if you add the OD shirt and crusher then yes, seek help).

Its a nice look and as long as the shirt is civi you should be fine.

Go easy...you are happy to wear an accurate repro or original piece of flying equipment but wearing it with the rest of the
ensemble as the real aviators wore is a no-no??

CBI

Just some high waisted pants and it adds a lot to the look. Pants today are too low waisted and the pockets look really odd (low) when wearing our high waisted A-2's. I'm talking a one to two inch difference between period cut stuff and current chinos. Not a big deal. The repro WWII khaki copies, HBT's, Navy denims, etc. look similar to standard retail pants at first glance. I wear these w/o an A-2 often and they look pretty cool. If the shirt isn't tucked in, no one notices. Its actually an overall trimmer look than current era "slouch" mall pants. I was joking about wearing the complete ensemble in public as not being OK (unless its a living history event).

wop54

Swing said:
Don't have much to add other than I don't believe the cotton summer uniform was ever approved for use in the ETO, and IIRC, you weren't allowed to wear it in the US until after May 1st. Not sure when they had to switch back to the wool uniform, but I'd imagine it would have been by September 30th. Wool could be wore year round in the US.

~Swing
I am not sure about the historical accuracy of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" but in the Washington DC scene (when they find out about the Ryan brothers death) that was supposed to be located in early June 44, officers wore both khaki and "pink & greens". I wonder if that is right, could you choose wich uniform to wear?

Tim P

Summer and winter uniforms are incompatible as a rule of thumb because, by regulation, they would be prescribed for zone where summer was year round mandated or prescribed seasonally. Summer uniform was not authorised for the ETO although it was for the MTO. Components of summer uniform such as overseas or crusher caps are occasionally clear on ETO photographs (not pink) but this should be seen as bizzarre.
Having done Living history for some years I can empathise with the wives who roll their eyes. Some very odd types are drawn to the hobby is and their motivation for doing so is often questionable.
Trying to explain the difference between a historical display for education purposes and someone who dresses up a military vehicle with the biggest flag they can find, throws on something Khaki and an out of era steel helmet is pointless as the casual observer will not see a diference at all.

Any dark OD uniform item can be seen in combination with any light OD. while pink service and Ike jackets are in existence they are the result of cavalier tailoring but apart from that, anything goes. I like for instance the all chocolate look affected by Steve McQueen in the war lover. rare to see dark tie with dark shirt but entirely within reg and quite cool

fishmeok

Here's a couple pics of the the different shades- note that the shirt really does look "pink". the shirt is wool, same as the summer-weight and the pants are both wool elastique, though I have some pairs of "chocolate" pants that are also the summer-weight wool. The "chocolate" shades vary from green to brownish green depending on the material, manufacturer, etc.
Cheers
Mark

DSCN2385.jpg

DSCN2392.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Chandler

wop54 said:
I am not sure about the historical accuracy of the movie "Saving Private Ryan"

When that first premiered, a lot of reenactors and others studied in proper uniform etiquette screamed a loud FOUL on that one. There shouldn't have been a mix of the 2 seasonal uniforms at all.

Chandler

Chandler

Swing said:
I don't believe the cotton summer uniform was ever approved for use in the ETO,

Not even in Italy or Sicily? I'm trying to recall if I've seen the uniform in pictures (of course, that doesn't mean it was approved).

Chandler