• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The comforts of Nylon jackets

greyhound52

So during the Christmas holidays I wore my assortment of nylon jackets and no A2s as it was a bit chilly here in Nor Cal (at least for us). Wore my CWU-45, MA-1s, and B-15D mods (Dean calm down yes they were all originals). Anyway decided to put an A-2 on the other day and felt it was rather tight. Hmmm.... this one fits and I didn't gain weight due to Christmas snacking. So, as one of our forum members put it...nylon jackets are just darn comfortable and non-restricting (kind of like that). Ain't it the truth. I can see why some forum members don't like the A2.

watchmanjimg

Amen to that, George! I have an '86 Alpha 8279F out in the car right now. It was just the thing for pumping gas on the way to work this morning.

dadgad

You'll never forget you are wearing an A2, nylons are way less constraining...just like a pair of sneakers compared to some sturdy boots.

USMC_GAU-21

I have been wearing Nylon for over 26 years, both on active duty and off. Love them. My G-1 is a Foster 48R from 1972. (Issued to me NOS in Pensacola in 1987) Heavy Jacket, nice leather, but no where near as comfortable and warm as my 1980 CWU-45P in XXL. Best thing I ever bought at the Orange County swap meet when I was stationed in So Cal. ($30 bucks) We only rated the CWU-36 as it was a "warm" climate, but of course the riggers were never out there in the winter time at 29 palms freezing their butts off flying around... :(

So when I saw a surplus -45P in that size, even though it was huge on me then, I knew with a flightsuit and turtleneck it would fit fine. Still does.

Love the Nylon, but the "Leather" always gets the "Fighter Pilot Glory" :roll:

r - Gy Dan

Atticus

Except for that melting-into-your-skin thing, I've always considered the humble MA-1 and its father, the B-15, to be the best flight jackets ever designed. They are especially great for guys like me who wear them as casual jackets and not as flight jackets.

They have useful, warm pockets. They have useful inside pockets. They are comfortable in a wide range of temperatures. They are very warm when the weather is cold....but unziped, they don't burn you up when it is mild. They have a fuller, more comfortable cut. Fat guys look less fat in them. They look good with everything from jeans to khakis. They even look good with a button-down and a tie. They look good patched or not patched. They have been obsolete long enough that when you wear one, people don't think you're pretending to be someone other than a guy wearing a funky old flight jacket.

I like my G-1s, but when it is cold...or even cool outside, I grab a 'sixties MA-1 every time.

AF

deand

I'm glad someone finally posted this, I've thought this for a while. The comfort is just one more reason I prefer them.

dean

CBI

George - was it that killer original Aero A-2 that felt tight? If so, I would be HAPPY to take it off your hands! ;)

Just thought I would give it a try :oops:

greyhound52

CBI said:
George - was it that killer original Aero A-2 that felt tight? If so, I would be HAPPY to take it off your hands! ;)

Just thought I would give it a try :oops:

It was my The Few 1938 Aero which before had always felt great.

greyhound52

Atticus said:
Except for that melting-into-your-skin thing, I've always considered the humble MA-1 and its father, the B-15, to be the best flight jackets ever designed. They are especially great for guys like me who wear them as casual jackets and not as flight jackets.

They have useful, warm pockets. They have useful inside pockets. They are comfortable in a wide range of temperatures. They are very warm when the weather is cold....but unziped, they don't burn you up when it is mild. They have a fuller, more comfortable cut. Fat guys look less fat in them. They look good with everything from jeans to khakis. They even look good with a button-down and a tie. They look good patched or not patched. They have been obsolete long enough that when you wear one, people don't think you're pretending to be someone other than a guy wearing a funky old flight jacket.

I like my G-1s, but when it is cold...or even cool outside, I grab a 'sixties MA-1 every time.

AF

AF you got it when it is cold outside I grab the nylon. Got my 73 CWU-45 right now and it was real nice in the cold this morning. Leather looks cool but nylon is comfortable.

newenglandcliff

Always preferred the look and comfort of Nylon over the A2. The hand pockets are a plus too. But older civilian leathers can trump nylon, in some if not all areas, depending on the hide. New versions of these, as well.

Weasel_Loader

I actually went the other way. Used to have all the nylon stuff and now it's leather and cloth.

Agree my CWU-45 was the best ever, but I had an early one with pleated back and got it caught on too many things getting in and out of aircraft (good reason why they did away with those). Might get a newer issue version sometime. Never liked my -36. No warm enough on most days and too warm on others. Strange but never had that issue with my L-2Bs or leather A-2.

My present favorite in comfort is my Buzz B-15C, but I'm limited on that to only the coldest of days. My cloth ELC B-10 is another favorite but it hasn't been cold enough to wear that all day since early December.

My "new to me" Buzz RW A-2 is my current favorite. This jacket fits me like a glove. I can wear it when it's 25 degrees in the morning and wear it throughout the day with no problems. I love my GW Dubow A-2, but still noisy as a hell and still a little stiff. Yeah, I guess you have to wear them to break them in. :roll:

usafwso

Synthetic jackets are always better to wear compared to the A-2 plus the insulating quality of a good MA-1 or CWU nomex jacket. Just about to pop off and meet a buddy at the airport and will be wearing my Buzz MA-1. :D

Spent the holidays in Hawaii wearing shorts, tee shirts and Teva's. No climate for flight jackets. Well, maybe on the big Island. ;)

In two weeks, off to my yearly Yellowstone adventure and too cold for flight jackets.

greyhound52

I really like the early CWU-45s tho I can understand the pleats getting caught on things but it does give you extra room. Glad you like the Buzz I really like mine. I have the house version which is a 44 and has that room you mentioned and fits like a glove. I really like my 36 which is the early version with pleats and it works on most days when it is not really cold. I think the L-2B is one of the best all round jackets and you can wear it spring and fall. One does not wear a jacket here in the summer too darn hot.

Peter Graham

Atticus said:

AF
Geoff, I agree with every word. I love my leather jackets, but nylon rules !