• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Cold Weather, 45/P Desert Tan ...

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Well the sage version has always been a good alternative when the leather needed a rest, so I thought I'd pick this one up. She's a great colour, and matches the carpet ...

CW45P.jpg

CW45P_label.jpg

Weasel_Loader

I never really like the desert tan versions, but they sure do command a pretty penny. I once found a mint example in X-Large (just like yours) on ebay for only $65.00. Yes, it was listed horribly and I re-listed it and got more than double what I paid for it. It was the only time I did an ebay auction for profit. I have seen them as high as over $300. :shock:

Those are great alternatives to the leather. ;)

Jaydee

My 45/P is one of the warmest jackets I own, way warmer than a G-1 and still flexible and easy to move in. They are well suited to the job they were designed for. And fire resistant so you will be ready if you have to bust out some hero manuevers. :)

deand

I keep looking at listings of those, and the 36P versions and might just try one, except that with my budget, it'd end up being a cheap non-non-flammable knock-off and I wouldn't really know what the real deal is like. Nice jacket! I don't mind the tan, either.

dean

Jaydee

I got mine for $35 shipped. If your looking for a sage (green) one, just keep an eye out and eventually you will score. A lot of them are sold on ebay.

I would not advise getting a nylon (fake) one. The color, weight and feel of the material is completely different.

The Aramid material used has a ribbed like surface, sort of like micro courderoy. the suface catches sunlight and has a golden glow to it. It's really cool looking. So just take your time and keep an eye out.

watchmanjimg

In my experience the street value of genuine-issue CWU jackets has long been vastly overstated. I don't know if it's their perceived high cost to the government, the exotic Nomex fabric, or some other reason but it's all BS in any case. Some sellers are banking on the notion that most of us won't bother to keep looking for a better deal, but if you do your homework they can be had cheaply. The desert version may command a bit more as the current "flavor of the month" but again that's all smoke and mirrors if you ask me. I have a ton of sage CWUs and I don't think I've paid more than $60 or so for any of them. Some of the nicer examples were $40 or less, and I see no reason to pay much more.

Weasel_Loader

Also agree. It's the most plentiful authentic flight jacket on ebay. Just hit the search once or twice a day and get creative with your searches for those ones that are listed wrong. Mint ones can be had for well under $100. May take a month or two but not much more than that before one pops up. For some reason the summer weight -36s command slightly more. I always prefered the -45s though as the -36 were nothing more than a windbreaker for me. ;)

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
watchmanjimg said:
In my experience the street value of genuine-issue CWU jackets has long been vastly overstated.

If you've bought a few horsehide A-2's, the nomex jackets appear cheap whatever the asking price. I'm just happy to pick up anything local, without the extra cost of international shipping. :cool:

Atticus

David, I couldn't help notice that your new jacket is a size XL. My experience has been that XL CWUs are very, very XL. I thought I rememberd you being a medium sort of guy. I'll admit it...I've had trouble pushing away from the table, lately. Are you in the same boat? :D

AF

Atticus

deand said:
I keep looking at listings of those, and the 36P versions and might just try one, except that with my budget, it'd end up being a cheap non-non-flammable knock-off and I wouldn't really know what the real deal is like. Nice jacket! I don't mind the tan, either. dean
Dean, you can get the real thing on e-bay for not much money. I bought one of mine for $9.99 and two others for 99 cents each. Just keep looking and you'll end up with a deal.

AF

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Atticus said:
David, I couldn't help notice that your new jacket is a size XL. My experience has been that XL CWUs are very, very XL. I thought I rememberd you being a medium sort of guy. I'll admit it...I've had trouble pushing away from the table, lately. Are you in the same boat? :D

Nah, you're right Geoff, it's pretty huge. I buy anything I find locally just so I can check it out. If a Medium comes along, or I run out of space, I'll hang it up in the shop.

Rutger

There ought to be a CWU-36(mod) with a knitted collar rather than the nomex collar, as the treated nomex is not comfy to the skin.

In Germany there's a shop that sells them for about 500 euro, which is about 650 USD.
I was happy when I could buy a new one in the US on ebay for about 120 USD, later on I got them cheaper, the cheapest one was 2 GBP with 12 GBP for shipping.

The fake ones will never have the authentic labels in it, and can not be advertised as flame resistant.
I agree, don't buy the fake ones, the real thing can be had for the same money.

The sizes vary wildly, I've got a few in Large that are way too small, a few that are spot on, and a few that should have been tagged X-Large.

The more velcro on it, the better they look, and the tan version really makes a statement.

HackerF15E

Rutger said:
There ought to be a CWU-36(mod) with a knitted collar rather than the nomex collar, as the treated nomex is not comfy to the skin.

Remember that when it's worn in flight, it's over a flight suit, and (at least when worn with a parachute harness) the flight suit collar is flipped up and covering up the jacket collar.

HackerF15E

deeb7 said:
Well the sage version has always been a good alternative when the leather needed a rest, so I thought I'd pick this one up. She's a great colour, and matches the carpet ...

Do you generally keep the rank on when you wear it casually?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
HackerF15E said:
Do you generally keep the rank on when you wear it casually?

This one being the size of a car cover, it's not going to be an issue as I won't be wearing it, but if a jacket comes with rank attached, I wouldn't be picking it off.

Although I wouldn't wear it in the US, no one here would notice, or know what it was.

Members online

Latest posts