• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The advertisement approach

flyboy

bseal said:
You've got to go full Don Draper:

"The flight jacket that pushed us into manufacturing -- because nothing existed to satisfy our strict requirements as collectors and historians. The jacket that first made our reputation -- for the A-2 is a formidable challenge. Always. Every material and component used between the 1931 introduction through its WWII issue no longer exists. Everything must be recreated, from the ground up. The challenge is enormous, daunting. Painful to describe. Yet when one understands and appreciates these complexities he marvels at our accomplishment. And understands the price, which is quite reasonable given the task."

Enormous, daunting, painful... that's what she said.

"You’ll realize in your private life that at a certain point seduction is over and force is actually being requested.”

-Don Draper

Mad Men
Season one, The Hobo Code

Like it! :cool:

Roughwear

It's a brave attempt Platon, but it should be punchy and concise. I'm not sure you should being saying
We promise you 'll find
a new life style. Yes, it is the finest."

Just say BK makes fine A2s, at very competitive prices.

flyboy

On page 1 in my book of great, creative advertising:
Don't tell people what to think.
Tell them interesting facts in an creative way, that makes them think, what you want them to think!

Superfluous

Poorly written and too long . . . otherwise, its great.

Objective facts are effective . . . a catchy slogan can be useful . . . lengthy self adulation is counterproductive.

As I have told Andy several times, BK's best marketing tools are: (1) objective facts regarding the leather and workmanship; (2) side-by-side comparison photos of the leathers and finished jackets; and (3) testimonials from satisfied customers. Rather than proclaiming your greatness from every mountain top, let the photos speak a thousand words, and let your satisfied customers affirm your quality and service.

A

Anonymous

Thanks again to everyone for their participation.

BK has been under fire lately for daring to say that they have the best leathers. I don't think it is needed to state my opinion whether this is true or not, I leave it to those who have seen them to decide. What impressed me is the hostility and negativity that those statements have generated. I am surprised also that it was considered wrong for a vendor to advertise his product as the best. I thought it was only wrong to misrepresent one's products.

Also sorry but the lines proposed in my first post can't be used by BK because they are already taken.
They belong to a vendor who claims to be not only the Best, but the "Ultimate". Who developed the "real thing" because everything else that was there before wasn't. Please see here:

http://s9.postimg.org/uthwja8i7/IMG_8100.jpg

This vendor gives you "the finest" and his advertisement is the same style as BK's (we're the best etc) but for as long as I can remember it hasn't raised an eyebrow. Unfair, but I guess they are excused because they make such great cloth wear.

In BK's defense, BK is a vendor who moved very fast from mediocre jackets to high end jackets. They needed to be heard so the only way was the hard and fast advertisement, because due to the high cost of the leathers there was no time to wait for the products to speak for themselves.

Victory horse is a leather equal or better to that used by very expensive makers such as Carol Christian Poell, Rick Owens, Julius and Backlash (to name just a few brands you never heard of).

So it was a one way road, BK had to make some noise about it, but now that period is over so you will never hear those stories again. Thank you for putting up with that.

foster

That was an unexpected surprise about the original quote being from Real McCoy. The Japanese are certainly known for their pursuit of perfection, be it a leather jacket or a piece of fruit they do emphasize the quest for the best. I don't often place much emphasis on the Japanese translated English sentences, as they often cater to a different culture and mindset than my own.

I think the difference today is the dynamic of the internet itself. This is the "Information Age," but there is a limit to the amount of information my human mind can process each day. I appreciate things which are more concise these days. My quest for perfection requires personal research, and internet research requires me to sift through a lot of chaff to find the relevant information I seek. And if I am going to spend $1000 or more on a jacket, I want to invest some of my time in research. Self-promoting posts, regardless of their origin, I view with suspicion on account of the bias. Customers also have biased opinions. Bias is impossible to avoid, but it is a component of the information available online. Had Bill Kelso been more reserved in the online promotions, I think it would have been better received by some of the critics. Perhaps not, as this is all an exercise in "What If" at this point. It's a different marketing strategy. Commercials usually do not sway my opinions when it comes to purchasing goods and services. I prefer to examine the product for myself, research it in my spare time, and make the decision based on my examinations and research.

Rutger

:lol:
Unlike BK, RMC didn't post a single thread on the forum to promote, so there never was a reason for members to comment on RMC's way. The comparison fails.

All the same it is a crap text, the current home page of BK is quite a bit more modest (and much better) than that.

Mixing modesty, pride, craftsmanship, subtlety, eye to detail, customer care, quality, affordability does appeal. Saying "we've got the best leathers in the world" won't do it, especially not if half a year later an even bester (best, bester, bestest) leather is offered.
One might be the best, but constantly claiming being the best, well, frankly, that's got nothing to do with being honest, that's bragging.
No offence meant, just sayin' how it would come about at times.

Vcruiser

PLATON said:
Yes true, RMC didn't post here. Lucky them. :lol:

Not even funny. However..using Bill Kelso as a company theme and Charlie Sheen as an avatar seems quite fitting as the ultimate laugh.

*****Captain in the US Army Air Corps and pilot of a P-40 Warhawk****

[After the attack on Pearl Harbor, Kelso patrolled up and down the California Coast, at one point hearing word of Japanese Zeroes having been spotted, Kelso set out to trail them. Instead, he ended up lost over the Grand Canyon, before circling back towards Los Angeles.

Kelso flew over Los Angeles amidst a blackout, and was considered to possibly be a potential target. Flying away quickly and heading for the Ocean Side Amusement Park, Kelso then spotted a Japanese sub off the coasts, and attempted to fire. When he sustained damage, Kelso returned over Los Angeles. Spotting a rogue plane, Kelso assumed this to be one of the Zeroes, and shot it down, but eventually his plane crashed in the process.

Still determined to do something about the submarine, Kelso took control of a motorcycle, and headed back to the Amusement Park. Plunging into the surf and climbing aboard the sub, Kelso was soon taken prisoner by the Japanese crew.

He has been listed as missing in action as of late December 1941.]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pipTwjwrQYQ[/video]

Now THAT'S funny..!!

A

Anonymous

The ultimate laugh is that you have Ken Calder as an avatar.

ButteMT61

PLATON said:
The ultimate laugh is that you have Ken Calder as an avatar.

You really need to just quit posting. Every one does more damage than the last.
BK should put a muzzle on you. Final words.

A

Anonymous

Butte your really need to understand that every post I make is not on behalf of BK.
VC's post was uncalled for out of topic and looking for trouble.

Bill Kelso was chosen because he was fun and we are humorous too and because everybody likes John Belushi, plus all the Steve McQueen names were taken.

Vcruiser

..Hey wait..you seem to handle BKs advertising here and the BK Reproduction Manufacturers section.
Didn't you finally admit a while back that you and your partner Andy ARE BK..??
Some even claimed that they though you were both the same person... :?

bseal

Anyone ever read Francois Marie Arouet?

"All styles are good except the tiresome kind."

"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize."

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death, your right to say it."

A

Anonymous

Nope, I didn't admit any of that.
Andy is just an employee handling the sales and customer service working for the owners of the shop.

The idea of making jackets under the name BK was mine and the owners of the shop were interested so they agreed to get involved. Their shop, one of the most famous for leathers in Athens was making fashion style jackets since the 1980s but they had no idea about military and vintage jackets. I got on board to show them how so I became part of the team and I get my reward for that. But I am not the owner of the shop (I was 7 years old in 1980). One of my duties is to help with the advertisement. The advertisement is over now because it has been leading to unwanted arguments and misunderstandings. Also, all the info is now shared so nothing more to say. In the future BK will rely to the product and photos to do the talking. I can't be the same person with Andy because he works for BK and I work for another company in a business not at all related to jackets. I do what I do in my free time as a hobby because I love the jackets just like you do.