• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Taxes on US flight gear sent from outside the US

bazelot

I am wondering if the US customs tax WWII flight gear coming from outside the country. Is there a special tariff code that the seller has to write on the package. I am looking at something pretty expensive so if I had to pay taxes that may not make sense at all.

unclegrumpy

I am assuming that what you are thinking of getting will fit in a box and go through the mail, rather than being a huge shipment. If that is the case, you do not have to really worry about the exact "tariff code", and if it is a large shipment, then you will need a Broker, and they will help you with the paperwork.

Through the mail, there are no guarantees what Customs might do, but there should not be any duty on a used item made in the USA returning. If this is the case, I would have the seller put "Used" and "Made in the USA" on the Customs label. Another thing to consider adding....if true....is NCV....which in Customs speak stands for "No Commercial Value"....which could cover a lot of old obsolete flight gear.

If it is insured or the value is declared for a lot money....I don't know Customs current threshold....it will probably get looked at, so make sure whatever you put on the label looks reasonable.